Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
mekat
Registered Users

Any one seen this Goldiblox promotion video?

GoldieBlox, Rube Goldberg, & Beastie Boys "Princess Machine" (a concert for little girls)

My son is totally fascinated with it. He insisted I add it to his You Tube playlist.

Advertisement

mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any one seen this Goldiblox promotion video?

"Don't underestimate girls." I don't know what they are selling, but it's a fine message.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find it amusing that they are dissing gender geared toys yet their toys are pink
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
I find it amusing that they are dissing gender geared toys yet their toys are pink
This was my issue with these blocks since they hit the scene. "Girls can do everything boys can do" "girls, girls girls" Oh by the way they are pink blocks geared towards girls. Just seems like a marketing ploy even if it isn't. It comes off pretty stereotyped anyway. The blocks are not exactly gender neutral nor do they come off that way at all.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
I know. How dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post

This was my issue with these blocks since they hit the scene. "Girls can do everything boys can do" "girls, girls girls" Oh by the way they are pink blocks geared towards girls. Just seems like a marketing ploy even if it isn't. It comes off pretty stereotyped anyway. The blocks are not exactly gender neutral nor do they come off that way at all.

Yup. I wouldnt buy them. Kids are not likely to even get it anyways.
And whats the with ribbon and the blocks?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post

I know. How dumb!

My understanding is that the ribbon and blocks are used to build a solution to a problem laid out in the accompanying book.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
This exactly.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
It comes off pretty stereotyped anyway. The blocks are not exactly gender neutral nor do they come off that way at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post

It isn't supposed to be gender neutral. The inventor is specifically targeting girls and trying to get them interested in the inventing & engineering fields. Whether or not her concept will be successful is another story.

Gender oriented toys never bothered me because I have always let my son pick his toys and he does pick out a lot of pink and purple. He just prefers those colors partly because he likes them and partly because they are easier to see for a vision impaired child.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
It isn't supposed to be gender neutral. The inventor is specifically targeting girls and trying to get them interested in the inventing & engineering fields. Whether or not her concept will be successful is another story.
Exactly. DH couldn't wait to get the set for DD when they first came out even though she is a little young for it. I think having the story helped get her interested in playing and building her own "spinning machine". She has since asked to make other things that are in the book. She's four so it's yet to be determined whether she'll stay interested but I think it's a good start.

The fact that it's pinked up a bit to grab a girls' interest in engineering and problem solving doesn't really bother me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think its awesome. To me, the message is that you can be "girly" and still interested in math, science, and engineering. Its something I struggled with a lot growing up (and still do) as did many of the women I went to highschool with (a math and science magnet school).

Studies show girls and boys tend to play differently. Girls like stories and role playing and the goldiblox is designed to incorporate how girls play. Its the same research that Lego used to create the pink and purple role playing Lego sets for girls today.

Its trying to combat the stereotype that pretty, girly girls are ditz-es and smart girls are nerdy (think Big Bang Theory). You can bet every daughter and niece I ever have will be gifted a goldiblox.

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and Nate (Mar 2013)

Eta, as far as the video goes... it seems to me it was aimed at the parents. I thought the ad was funny and cute.

Last edited by RunawayBunny; 11-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote