Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsgreen
Love your pic. I did the same with our cow boy boots.
If it was yours that was posted on here then you gave me the idea. So thanks (if that was you). I thought it was too stinking cute and fit us perfectly.

Advertisement

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quiet around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28 View Post
If it was yours that was posted on here then you gave me the idea. So thanks (if that was you). I thought it was too stinking cute and fit us perfectly.
Yeah it was me. So you are totally welcome!! Glad if others liked the idea, and used it for their own

It is so crickety in here, cricket, cricket.I know I'm being a little dramatic.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Our Thanksgiving is long past too, but I did tell my employers this week. I was really worried that they wouldn't take it well, but they surprised me. I actually got congratulations from both partners. They're not thrilled that I'll be gone for nearly a year, but they didn't fire me.

We also told our parents last weekend and they're about equal parts happy and scared for us, which is about how we feel. I have my NT scan on Monday and I will feel a lot better once I know the babies are okay. My morning sickness is starting to ease a bit, but I'm still waiting for the fatigue to let up.

Happy Thanksgiving ladies!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
Our Thanksgiving is long past too, but I did tell my employers this week. I was really worried that they wouldn't take it well, but they surprised me. I actually got congratulations from both partners. They're not thrilled that I'll be gone for nearly a year, but they didn't fire me.

We also told our parents last weekend and they're about equal parts happy and scared for us, which is about how we feel. I have my NT scan on Monday and I will feel a lot better once I know the babies are okay. My morning sickness is starting to ease a bit, but I'm still waiting for the fatigue to let up.

Happy Thanksgiving ladies!
Glad to hear all went well with your boss!
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller

Sorry I've been away for a week or so! We've had such a fun weekend celebrating Thanksgiving at our house and then driving to my cousin's wedding and having a great family weekend. Now trying to settle back into a routine as I sent the oldest off to school today!

We still haven't made an announcement. A handful of close friends know, but that's it. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to hide it this weekend when I went dress shopping for the wedding, the bump was clearly there! Provided I can continue to hide the bump for another month, we plan on announcing on Christmas to the families and then I'm in no hurry to announce on FB for some reason.

The only thing I've bought for baby is I'm trying to rebuild our nb stash so I took advantage of some great Black Friday deals! I've made a list of things I want/need for baby and thank goodness it's not very long; Bob double jogger, new car seat, I'd like a new carrier (maybe a Tula?!??) and restock up on cloth dipes!

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
Very jealous that you're a professional WOHM and manage to have that much time off, it's against policy here to let someone have that much leave. They provide at most 5 weeks of paid STD for maternity leave (waiting period of 1 week PTO out of pocket) and then you're only covered up to FMLA limits of 12 weeks if you choose to continue to take PTO/unpaid time; after that you better be back at work again, or expect to be out the door. Then again, I'm guessing I'm not jealous of the hours your job makes you keep once you return to work...
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
activia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Very jealous that you're a professional WOHM and manage to have that much time off, it's against policy here to let someone have that much leave. They provide at most 5 weeks of paid STD for maternity leave (waiting period of 1 week PTO out of pocket) and then you're only covered up to FMLA limits of 12 weeks if you choose to continue to take PTO/unpaid time; after that you better be back at work again, or expect to be out the door. Then again, I'm guessing I'm not jealous of the hours your job makes you keep once you return to work...
We only get what's covered by short term disability (60% of your pay for 6-8 weeks and there is a max..) and any vacation/sick days accrued. You get up to 12 weeks off as covered by FMLA but doesnt have to be paid. I am working on accruing close to 5 weeks of vacation and close to 14 sick days...so I will have close to 8 weeks of full pay and 6-8 weeks of partial pay (they will overlap)...so I will have close to 100% pay for 12 weeks.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I think there's much more variation than your post accounts for, it depends a lot on the state and the employer. I work for a large company in California. Between state disability/bonding leave and my company, I am paid at 100% for 12 weeks (including the waiting period, which my company covers). I am permitted to use accrued sick leave and vacation time for additional time off. I believe that additional bonding leave is available at 55% pay. My plan, which will involve no loss of income or job protection, is:
1wk before delivery - sick leave (this was an accurate description last time!)
8wks after delivery - pregnancy disability leave
4wks - bonding leave
4wks - vacation

I have a colleague who was out on bed rest beginning at 7 or 8mo and returned to work ~5mo after her son was born. I think that the last month or so of her leave was at 55%. There are advantages to corporate america!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Canada is wonderful for maternity leave. Our jobs are protected for up to 52 weeks and the Employment Insurance program will pay you 50% of your salary up to $500 per week. Everyone has to pay into the program, but it really is great for families.

Realistically, I can't leave practice that long, but I think 6 months off then 6 months of working up from 1 day/week back to full time is reasonable.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82

Canada is wonderful for maternity leave. Our jobs are protected for up to 52 weeks and the Employment Insurance program will pay you 50% of your salary up to $500 per week. Everyone has to pay into the program, but it really is great for families.

Realistically, I can't leave practice that long, but I think 6 months off then 6 months of working up from 1 day/week back to full time is reasonable.
I am SO grateful for our maternity leave here. The best part is, no matter what job you have (whether you are a nurse or work at McDonald's) you will get 52 weeks maternity leave as long as you have worked a certain number of hours in the past year (600 in BC). It's wonderful. You can also split the time with your partner. The weekly payments certainly can't compare with a FT paycheck, but the opportunity to take a year off is great. Of course, I didn't go back to work after my year was up, I decided to be a SAHM for a while
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote