Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Layney82's Avatar
Layney82
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,629
Re: Quiet around here

I didn't work through my first pregnancy (I had just finished school) so I didn't rush back to work. I spent 3.5 years as a SAHM before I went back to work this year.

Advertisement

__________________
Lawyer and Mama to DS since Feb 2010 and twin DDs since May 2014.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
FrozenBooty's Avatar
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,824
My Mood:
I can take my sick and vacation time which I don't have much, I get 6ish weeks of short term disability 80% then I'm unpaid until 12 weeks when I will lose my job. Which is why I never want to go on bed rest and lose weeks with my baby.
__________________
Mommy to Patrick 05/19/05, Parker 11/20/09 and Paxton Arrived 2/14/13, Penelope 5/29/14

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
mommy2makenzie's Avatar
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 216
Re: Quiet around here

It's the same way for me; 12 weeks is covered by FMLA which just simply ensures that I will have a job if I return within those 12 weeks. My only pay is whatever accrued sick and vacation time I have and I chose to take out and pay for a short term disability policy that will pay at a percentage for so many weeks. With DD, I was able to stay off work for 6 months, but that was completely unpaid. With DS, I could only afford to stay home for 4 weeks and then went back part time for 2 more weeks before returning to full time at 6 weeks. It.was.rough. I pray I was smarter about it this time around with having 6 weeks of sick time already saved up and taking out the disability policy. In my perfect world, I'd take advantage of every minute of that 12 weeks that they allow.
__________________
Nicole------Happily married, working mommy to 5 year old M and 3 year old E !

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
mommy2makenzie's Avatar
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 216
Re: Quiet around here

My coworkers can donate me hours too; don't think I won't beg them for some!
__________________
Nicole------Happily married, working mommy to 5 year old M and 3 year old E !

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
sarahtee's Avatar
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
I didn't work through my first pregnancy (I had just finished school) so I didn't rush back to work. I spent 3.5 years as a SAHM before I went back to work this year.
That's funny, I finished my degree 3 days before I found out I was pregnant with DS. I still haven't used my degree lol

But, I'm going to apply for a casual job with our school district tonight, it would be nice to have maternity leave again! DS is 2.5 now and I'd be comfortable putting him in daycare now a few days a week if it means me getting another paid year off. Then ill probably be a SAHM again for another 3 years lol
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
luvsgreen's Avatar
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,235
My Mood:
Re: Quiet around here

Tomorrow is my first appointment! 12 weeks. I sure I hope i get to hear a heart beat, I wouldn't be able to wait another four weeks to find it at the next appt. I keep having these awful envisions that they won't find a heart beat. Hope it doesn't happen that way!
__________________
Stephanie madly in love with her Medical Student.
Mama to three gorgeous cowgirls, and one angel.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #27
mommy2makenzie's Avatar
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 216
Re: Quiet around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsgreen View Post
Tomorrow is my first appointment! 12 weeks. I sure I hope i get to hear a heart beat, I wouldn't be able to wait another four weeks to find it at the next appt. I keep having these awful envisions that they won't find a heart beat. Hope it doesn't happen that way!
I hope it all goes well! Have fun and let us know!
__________________
Nicole------Happily married, working mommy to 5 year old M and 3 year old E !

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
mommy2makenzie's Avatar
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 216
Re: Quiet around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtee View Post
That's funny, I finished my degree 3 days before I found out I was pregnant with DS. I still haven't used my degree lol

But, I'm going to apply for a casual job with our school district tonight, it would be nice to have maternity leave again! DS is 2.5 now and I'd be comfortable putting him in daycare now a few days a week if it means me getting another paid year off. Then ill probably be a SAHM again for another 3 years lol
I graduated with my BA when DD was 15 months. I've worked full time since then but haven't used my degree for a single day. I hate it every month when I pay out to all those student loans. The plan was to apply for nursing school and start this August, but we were hoping to have had a baby in April and not June. So, we'll see! God has funny plans and doesn't ask me!
__________________
Nicole------Happily married, working mommy to 5 year old M and 3 year old E !

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
yogamama28's Avatar
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,711
I don't get any paid maternity leave. We can be paid for up to 6 weeks by using our accumulated sick days. That's what I did with dd, but this time I don't have nearly enough sick days accumulated. I work in a school so I will have baby over summer break, enjoy my summer vacation home with dd and baby and then head back to work in August like normal. I don't want to take unpaid time if I don't have to.
yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
sarahtee's Avatar
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2makenzie

I graduated with my BA when DD was 15 months. I've worked full time since then but haven't used my degree for a single day. I hate it every month when I pay out to all those student loans. The plan was to apply for nursing school and start this August, but we were hoping to have had a baby in April and not June. So, we'll see! God has funny plans and doesn't ask me!
I feel ya on the student loans. Ugh.
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.