Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Is there a narrow convertible carseat?

Yikes! I just realized my carseat placement in my minivan won't work the way I want once the baby arrives. Currently, my girls are in the 3rd row bench seat in boosters and my son is rear-facing in a second row captain's chair. The other captain's chair is folded into the floorboard, but it will come up and the baby will sit there, rear-facing, of course, but I just realized with two rear-facing carseats in the middle, I will be unable to squeeze into the back row to buckle my 3 year old in (she can unbuckle herself.) My oldest can help buckle her in, but she's not with us all the time as she's in school.

I don't want to put the little ones in the third row because I want them to be accessible to me. The next best solution is to put my son inbetween the girls in the back rear-facing and that way I can leave one captain's chair folded down into the floorboard for easy access to the back, but his carseat is too big for that. Do you know of any narrow carseats (currently he's in an Evenflo Triumph.)

And my last option, I guess, is to attempt to buckle my 3 year old in from the back of the van.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there a narrow convertible carseat?

I've found 2 that are narrow enough for us.

Britax Roundabout! #1 - awesome, great track record, etc etc

Cosco Touriva/Regal Ride or Safety 1st something-or-other (same company, different name)

Lots of people won't use Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer because of their track record, recalls, bad CS, but you really can't beat the price if you need a 2nd seat or something cheaper to "do you" if you're in between sizes -- we had to buy a Cosco while our ds was too heavy to be RF in the Roundabout, but not old enough to be FF, kwim?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is my van configuration right now:

Dh and I in the front

Centre row - Captain's Chairs

FF Cosco AOE (driver's side)
FF Graco Platinum CarGo w/harness (passenger side)

Back Row

Fisher Price Safe Embrace HBB w/shoulder belt (driver side)
FF Britax Roundabout (centre)
Graco Turbo Booster - backless (passenger side)
`

We HAVE fit an Eddie Bauer HBB with harness, a FF Britax Roundabout and a Graco Platinum Cargo all in the back of a 95 Monte Carlo - scraped knuckles getting seats tight enough though; I wouldn't recommend it! lol
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Cosco convertible that is pretty narrow. I found that most Cosco ones are pretty narrow.

It also depends on your minivan too. I have a 99 WIndstar and we have tried over a dozen different car seat combos and none will work...then DH found out from work that they don't make them to fit 3 car seats in the back THen why have a minivan right? Yet my neighbor in an older Aerostar can fit any 3 carseats in her back bench seat perfectly. Makes me jealous but then I have A/C and she doesn't
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote