Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
VibrantBlue
Registered Users
Formerly: jlepitzki
seller

What do you drive? Do you need a new vehicle now? Commiserate here!

Ugh! It's time to start shopping for a new (to us) vehicle again. We currently drive a 2003 Durango, which should make it for a while longer. It's been good to us in terms of repairs, but it's really starting to show it's age. We've drive it hard over the past four years with road renovations happening around us, etc.

We are considering a 2009 Acadia with AWD or else a minivan option (which I'm hoping to stay away from!) of Honda Odyssey or Dodge Caravan.

Advertisement

VibrantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you drive? Do you need a new vehicle now? Commiserate here!

I drive a 2012 Equinox and DH has a 2013 VW Golf (which he just bought in August). Apparently buying a tiny car is the best way to conceive twins We would take too big of a hit selling either right now so we're going to have to fit 3 across in both cars. In any case, buying new carseats will be the most cost effective option for us.

Chicco keyfits will do for the first few months, but I'm not sure what we'll get after that. I'm thinking radians for my car (since we already have 2) and foonfs for DH's since they take up less space front to back but are still narrow.

We looked at a Chevy Traverse (basically the same as the Acadia) since I could trade my car in for it, but I didn't like the big plastic hinges in the middle of the second row seat. We were looking at the 8 passenger version and planning on keeping the rear seat folded down, but we couldn't make a carseat fit in the middle position because of the hinges and seat belt positions.

Last edited by Layney82; 11-30-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need a new car but we will have to make due my 9 year old when baby is due will have to sit in the front seat I will then put 3 across on my back seat which is what I currently do. I have an Isuzu trooper.

We can't afford a new car or payment.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
VibrantBlue
Registered Users
Formerly: jlepitzki
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post

Chicco keyfits will do for the first few months, but I'm not sure what we'll get after that. I'm thinking radians for my car (since we already have 2) and foonfs for DH's since they take up less space front to back but are still narrow.
Chicco and Foonf are what I'm looking at also. We bought a Clek Oobr booster for my DS (6yo) several months ago and I am beyond pleased with it. Totally worth the money, and I like supporting a Canadian company when I can.

When we had #3 we did three across with a Britax Frontier, booster for the oldest and rear facing Radian. The radian was a real PITA to install in the middle of my vehicle because it only had a lap belt and the belt stalk for the middle was way too long. I had to twist it down.

With the Durango we have now, we could fit another child seat in, so it's nice to know we don't absolutely need to get another vehicle ASAP, but with the way repairs are coming up with it consistently it was going to be time soon anyway.
VibrantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
mommy2makenzie
Registered Users
seller

We are a family of 4 in an 8 passenger Expedition. Praying it keeps going for awhile longer because I LOVE not having a car payment and it still has plenty of room for a family of 5!

Anxiously expecting #3 6/23/14!
mommy2makenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

We drive a mini-van. DD#1 will move to the back, DD2 will sit with Babe#3 in the middle, and then DH and I in the front.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Jenisawesome22
Registered Users

I have an 06 Honda CRV. We also have 3 60-70 lb dogs, and both of us are on the taller/larger side. I've been looking at Explorers with the 2nd row captains chairs. The Honda isnt the most comfortable and I'm ready to upgrade!!
Jenisawesome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
LovinMy3Boys83
Registered Users
seller

I drive a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T and my husband drives a 2003 Honda Pilot. We had an Acadia & traded it in for the minivan at the end of 2012 because it just wasn't big enough for my 3 boys. I love my minivan, can't imagine having anything else. As far as our configuration goes, DS1 & DS2 sit in the 3rd row as it is, DS#3 sits behind the passenger & we have the other chair in the stow 'n go compartment, so we will just bring that seat back up and baby DS#4 will sit there
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:

I drive an 05 Town & Country ~ with 5 kids right now {stepson is 18, will be graduating in June and heading to the Marine Corps}.

I would like to buy a newer van but my van is paid off and really don't want a car payment.

I will have 3 older girls across the 3rd row seat, DS in 1 captains chair and the new baby in the other captains chair.

I might have to get DD3 a new seat, but I am hoping to make due with what we have.
J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
hannahclaire
Registered Users

My husband has a 2012 4 door Nissan Frontier. We bought it last year knowing we were going to start a family. Before that he was driving a 2 door Civic and that had to go. I have a 2010 Honda Fit. It gets great gas mileage, but I worry about how it would hold up in the event of a crash. I would trade it, but it's already paid off and I DO NOT want another car payment right now. So I think we're going to wait and go the mini van route in a couple years.
hannahclaire is offline   Reply With Quote