Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #71
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
If your stool is normal consistency as you've said it is, it isn't IBS. Urgency isn't IBS.
This isn't true according to everything I've read about IBS. Stool can be normal most of the time even if you have IBS. Here's one link with in-depth info about the symptoms of and what classifies as IBS: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

Advertisement

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #72
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I haven't read all the pages of replies and I know you go in tomorrow but thought I would still share... It sounds to me like gallstones or gallbladder issues. You're a perfect candidate for it as well. I forget what they called it but the drs even have a name for the most common gallbladder patients which are new, young moms! Women are more likely to have gallbladder issues due to hormonal changes that effect the gallbladders ability to work effectively and then during/after pregnancy due to the dramatic hormone changes as well as dramatic weight loss.
For me it was really weird. I started having horrible abdominal pains about 2-3wks PP. Really bad. I thought maybe i was severely constipated from taking pain meds after giving birth because I couldn't even sit down on the toilet without crying from pain. I believe I had a uterine infection, I wouldn't let anyone touch me so the MW never did an exam or swab but gave me abx which worked. I was literally just laying in bed shaking in pain and dh made me go in. I sat as best I could on the table cried while telling her my symptoms and she have me the Rx's. A couple weeks later we went to the snow for the weekend and while there I started getting a headache one night and didn't go to dinner. I had a horrible stomach ache and was just laying in bed holding my stomach for hours but felt better in the morning. We went home shortly after and I started having the stomach pains more and more. It felt like really bad gas just below my ribs in the center or maybe 1" to the right and radiated through my back and to my shoulder. It was awful! I would just sit there and try to make it through. I would try anything I read online to make it stop. Apple cider vinegar and apple juice shots, as close to a non-fat diet as possible, bland foods. I finally had my 6wk appt and told her about the pain and was worried it was another uterine infection or something and she said "Oh no! Get to your dr ASAP!l But if it happens before you see him go straight to the ER!" Of course that same day it happened again and dh took me in. Found I had a lot of "sludge" in my gallbladder but didn't look that bad that I needed to be rushed in to surgery and my bloodwork came back okay. I went in to see my dr who referred me to a surgeon who also told me to come back to the ER if it gets bad and they may have to just take me back ASAP before my scheduled surgery. The next week it did and really bad and sure enough a stone (not sludge!) had lodged itself in the duct and was blown up like a big balloon inside my body. They had to actually open me up some to get it out, more than just a laparoscopic removal which needed staples. It was pretty painful because they cut through muscle and it hurt a LOT to even breathe let alone cough, sneeze, twist, lift... Ugh it was bad. Everytime I used my abs I was in major pain. I stayed overnight and the dr told me I was lucky I came in because I probably had 24-48 hours before my liver started going nuts.
I haven't had many problems since. I have "dumping" issues once in awhile, basically your body just expells the food rather than digesting it and processing it in the intestines. Lettuce does it sometimes but I've had a few more mild episodes lately. Not as bad as the first at all which was major urgency to go... Like right now or your pants! I had to get my kids from school and drive home sweating and shaking and on the verge of explosive diarrhea and my insides hurt horribly.
My mom also has what I think is IBS-D. She will get really nauseous and intestinal cramps and diarrhea for days. Can't eat or anything, super dizzy and light headed. She's going to be going in soon as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #73
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: diagnose me? the next health dilemma!

sounds like IBS to me too as that is what my doc thinks I have. a chiro doesn't hurt though.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #74
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
This isn't true according to everything I've read about IBS. Stool can be normal most of the time even if you have IBS. Here's one link with in-depth info about the symptoms of and what classifies as IBS: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/
Did you even read that? It says in the first paragraph that there are four times based off stool consistency, and none of them are normal.
I didn't say it wasn't because she doesn't have it most of the time, I said it wasn't because when she is having an episode her stool was normal, not hard or soft/runny.

Last edited by Tris; 12-09-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #75
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I'm a nurse. Those are classic gallbladder symptoms. What you need is an ultrasound do your right upper quadrant.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #76
leyash
Registered Users
seller

at the doctor now. pray for me ladies. really nervous. gonna see about getting medicine for anxiety, and also tell them about my symptoms. eeeek!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #77
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
at the doctor now. pray for me ladies. really nervous. gonna see about getting medicine for anxiety, and also tell them about my symptoms. eeeek!
Ask about a HIDA scan if ultrasound is normal. It determines gallbladder function.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #78
leyash
Registered Users
seller

well, glad that's over

she put me on celexa for the anxiety and such.

she told me to start taking papaya enzymes or whatever to help get rid of the gas pains and such. since the pain only seems to be bad when i have gas, we are going to rule that out first. i have another appt. in a month, and if the pain is still there/is worse, she will send a request for an ultrasound (her office doesn't have those capabilities). she said unless there are stones, it's not likely that they will do anything about it. i am already watching my diet, so that should help.

i also have an appt. two days after christmas with the behavior therapist, to help with my anxiety/panic problems...

just glad to be getting it all taken care of.

i suck, though. i had a very small breakfast this morning because i was in a hurry (some oatmeal & kefir), so three hours later i was starving, and had no idea when i'd be home. so i went ahead and got a six inch sandwich from subway. i got it on white bread (i hate their wheat), chicken teryaki with spinach, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, pickles, provolone cheese, green bell peppers, and red onion. so, it wasn't as bad as like... jack in the box, or taco bell or something.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #79
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Glad to hear she is going to help you. Hopefully with a reduction in your anxiety you won't worry about possible medical conditions quite so much.

I think that the conservative approach to your gas/abdominal pain is probably the way to go. While it may turn out to be something like your gallbladder, that isn't usually an emergency and it is smart to rule out horses before zebras. If it is your gallbladder, then you will know it when other things don't cure it.

Enjoy your Subway and remember that small changes are often more sustainable.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #80
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Glad to hear she is going to help you. Hopefully with a reduction in your anxiety you won't worry about possible medical conditions quite so much.

I think that the conservative approach to your gas/abdominal pain is probably the way to go. While it may turn out to be something like your gallbladder, that isn't usually an emergency and it is smart to rule out horses before zebras. If it is your gallbladder, then you will know it when other things don't cure it.

Enjoy your Subway and remember that small changes are often more sustainable.
yeah, she made me feel really comfortable. it is the first time i've seen her, so i'm glad that i liked her. i typically hate doctors (too impersonal, feel like they don't care, etc.) but she was really nice, and i felt that she listened and was thorough.

and see, i know *deep inside myself somewhere* that a gallbladder thing isn't an emergency, but in my brain it is, because lord... IT MIGHT EXPLODE! man i can't wait for this medication to work, hopefully. :/ and yet the irrational side of me is FREAKING OUT that i am going to have an anaphylactic reaction to it as soon as i take it. :/