Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When is the beat time to go to disney?

I'd like to take our 2 and 6 yr old to Disney within the the next two years. I don't think we can afford a whole week but maybe 3 or 4 nights. Any tips?

Advertisement

MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZnR
I'd like to take our 2 and 6 yr old to Disney within the the next two years. I don't think we can afford a whole week but maybe 3 or 4 nights. Any tips?
I would recommend spring or fall. In the summer it is soooooo hot. We went the first week in August when I was a kid and it was over 100 every day and so humid that it rained for a few hours every afternoon. We still had fun, but lots and lots of sweating and fatigue :-(. I know somewhere there is a website that shows the busiest and slowest weeks for Disney World, I would personally choose a low to moderate population week so there's less people on rides.
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When is the beat time to go to disney?

November before thanksgiving, December before Christmas but after thanksgiving, and January and February after Christmas, but before spring break starts.

I would prefer February because then you could scoot over to Tampa and go to the state fair or strawberry festival. However that is just me.

Have fun!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I second the first couple weeks in November. We went when I was a teenager and I know my parents got great rates, the weather was perfect, and there were no lines. Maybe a five or ten minute wait at the worst.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Early-mid October has always treated us well, during the week. We went once in mid-February and the crowds weren't bad but it was the one year that it was frickin' freezing there.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My favorite time to go is mid to late January. It is dead at the parks (we've always walked onto the tides at this time) and for us the weather is wonderful (but FL people are complaining it is cold). We've gone in Oct and early December and both were nice (a little warmer than I like in Oct).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Everyone elses recommendations, but also, I like sept and Oct. It's pretty dead then.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZnR View Post
If you want zero crowds, right now (as in this week, mid-week.) or February which is when we are going. Which park are we talking about though?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I'm assuming you mean Disney World in Florida.

There really is no slow season anymore. The last time we went we went in early December thinking it would be low crowds, and it was a zoo. You can download line wait time apps, and then check to see what the lines are like on various days. Even January and September which are traditionally low crowd months have been super busy lately. I think a lot more schools are going to year round schedules, so there are various breaks throughout the year. We get 2 weeks in the fall, 2 weeks in the spring, and almost a month in January, plus a week in Thanksgiving. And a lot of people pull their kids out of school for trips now, too.

Go when the weather is what you want, if you want to visit the water parks, go when its hotter. If you want to experience Christmas there (which is pretty awesome) then go then. They also have various festivals like Food and Wine, and a garden thing, too. And Halloween time.

I don't know where you live, but Disneyland might be more affordable. The hotels and food on Harbor BLVD are certainly cheaper than Disney World.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, living 45 minutes from it and going at least once or twice a month, there really is not slow season anymore. There *are* better times. But not promises. I agree though about January or February. Also, if you are driving you could stay off property. I don't know your budget. But the value resorts are anywhere from $120-190 which isn't a value to me
You can stay off property for $50+ a night [it's what we do generally when we do "vacations" there. If you're used to Ritz Carlton type hotels, then you of course wouldn't want to do a budget hotel, but if you are fine with it, then I would suggest Disney good neighbor hotels in the budget section. Here's the the link:

http://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/

We stayed recently at Champions World Resort and we loved it. It looks kind of vintage from the outside but it was clean, the staff was amazing. They have a covered heated pool. So even though it was rainy, my son still swam. They have a nature area with a pond and "beach" where you can have a campfire and sit in chairs. It has a path to walk. A sports field, plus another sun pool. It was about $45 a night. The room had a fridge [a bit bigger one, not the micro fridge!], a microwave, and coffee pot. Ironing board, hair dryer.

The great thing also about Disneyworld is you can take your own food in! That cuts down costs. If you plan to eat one meal a day in park and pack a lunch, bring drinks [no alcohol and no glass containers], it saves lots of money. And honestly as much as I love Disney stuff and buy it from time to time, you can go to the gift shops on Highway 192 where all the budget hotels are, and buy the souvenirs. MUCH cheaper!

Take your own pictures, forgo photo pass.

Things like that help! They do have a camp ground, if you're up for camping, but book out at least a year because it fills up fast!