Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you believe in climate change as a result of human activity?

I know that global warming and climate change was controversial at least a few years ago, and I wondering if it still is.

If you do take it seriously, do you do anything to reduce your carbon footprint?

(My household takes it very seriously. As in, it scares me witless. We still fly at least twice a year [short-haul to Philadelphia, long-haul to Europe] which makes me cringe. On the plus side, we compost, try to eat and buy locally, recycle, and try whenever we can to buy our clothes, furniture, and appliances used. We have one car, a hybrid, and I travel by bike or public transport).

And I would vote for more regulations in a heartbeat if I could. Because ultimately I think it is a political and a social problem, that can't be addressed individually.

Advertisement

Last edited by jam's mum; 12-07-2013 at 06:09 PM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Do you believe in climate change as a result of human activity?

I do think it is real. In the last 30 years I have seen the temps in Illinois warm gradually. We just had a snow storm here Thursday. Got dumped with 10+ inches of snow. It didn't melt yesterday nor today. That used to be the norm in this area. Now this is really unusual. Typically we get a few inches of snow and it melts within 24-36 hours. Just Wednesday we had 65 degree temps. Today we had a high of 17 degrees.

What we do is use cloth primarily, family cloth, mama cloth, kitchen cloth, cloth diapers, cloth tissues. avoid using chemicals when possible. Right now that is about it. Eventually I want to give composting a try plus start recycling.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I believe that the climate is constantly changing regardless of human interference. Now, I'm not sure if we have a part in speeding it up, but I also think that even if we didn't, we are impacting other things in the environment that certainly aren't helping the matter (e.g. Air quality, polluting ocean, cutting down trees, etc).

I must admit though I don't really do much to lessen my impact. I really should though.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Now my mother will argue it is cyclical and has nothing to do with global warming. I do think some is likely cyclical but 65 degrees in mid December in Illinois even if it is Southern Illinois? I don't know, that says things are changing to me.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 12-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Cperez0811
Registered Users

I believe a 100383727293930338% it's from human activity however I just took a environmental class and we discussed even if everyone in the entire world changed our ways there would be no way of ever having a "clean" world compared to the 70's and 80's. China is already looking at I think in 2021 to begin changing their emission laws but the only reason it took so long was because the population and for reasons of conflict with the US anyways I don't mean to ramble but I try to do our part and to educate family and friends to say the least we CD obviously, we recycle, we try to emit as least possible amount of pollution overall, we shop local to try and keep our foods natural but even that is becoming a hassle and we are constantly preserving what we use on a daily basis. I must admit with all of our law changes and the ease of what the millennium has done to our world it proves difficult considering not to long ago people lived rather fine without the many things we currently have. Sooooo yes we take it serious and we do our part if only everyone else could do theirs ::sigh::
Cperez0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I believe we can effect the climate in small ways not in big ways like is often talked about with global warming.

However I by default am a very green person. We get most of our food locally, compost, recycle everything we can, cd, and only take out the garbage when full. We prefer to take the train when we travel long distance but that isn't always possible.

I am definitely not for more regulation unless it is something self correcting like industrial water intakes have to be downstream of their outputs.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Bellaroo
Registered Users

I think mankind has played a huge role in global temperature change.

And, embarrassingly, I don't think I am doing enough to reduce my impact.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope, I think we are a lot smaller and less significant relative to the size of the earth than we fancy ourselves to be.

I don't doubt the global climate changes. I think human arrogance makes us think we can do or are doing a darn thing about it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes it is real. All evidence points to humans contributing to rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere which causes a greenhouse effect. The majority of climate scientist around the world not only are observing but agree on a lot of aspects of it. Climate change is real and yes humans are a factor in this period of warming. There are natural cycles but we are adding to it by our lifestyles. I been a very sustainability minded person since I was 18 but global warming isn't the only reason why I am. I hate that global warming got turned into a political issue. It has nothing to do with politics.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 12-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think anyone could actually look at the data (and understand it) and come to a different conclusion.