Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
fii
Registered Users
seller

Looking for advice regarding midwife

Midwives are very scarce in my area and you're quite lucky to get one.
I applied to 10-15 places (anywhere within a 2 hour drive) and was thrilled when I was contacted by one. I think I was around 8 or 9 weeks along.
She emailed me to say they had room for me, but took over a month to call me and take my details. (it sounded like she was dropping her child off or something while we spoke). She arranged my 12 - week ultrasound over the phone, which I went to the next day, and told me to book an appointment through the website. I tried but the soonest available one was in the middle on January- I would be 20 weeks. So I emailed her about it and she said she would look at her schedule and get back to me. It's been another week and I've still not heard from her.
Does it sound like she is too busy to provide care for me? Should I say/do something? I am 13.5 weeks now and have not had met her face to face.
Would you be concerned? Or wait and see what happens?

Advertisement

fii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for advice regarding midwife

Hmm, that is tough. It does sound like she doesn't do great with communication which would be frustrating and worrisome. Is there any way that you could get in contact with someone who has used her before to talk with them about their experience? I'm sure that would be greatly helpful, but I'm not sure if you have that kind of resource.

If it were me and my only other choice were an OB, I'd probably try to at least stick it out until my first appointment because once you meet her face-to-face, things might become easier and better.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally, I'd find a natural birth friendly OB. It sounds like a bad situation that could get worse and the distance doesn't help.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love midwifery and everything it has to offer, but a midwife with poor communication skills is a red flag for me. I have never had a midwife take more than 24 to return a phone call, and those weren't urgent.
I would set yourself up with a Dr, and try the midwife too. IF it turns out that you really like her, and think it can work, drop the Dr if you prefer midwifery. Or vice versa. Good luck!

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
fii
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input guys.
I was worried that I'm over reacting, but maybe not! I'm going to go to my first appointment (hmm... whenever that turns out to be!) and take it from there.

My main concern is that I need a midwife if I want a home birth. Hospitals give me terrible anxiety and I would hate to have to deliver there again.
fii is offline   Reply With Quote