Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking textbook or Saxon

My son is almost done with his 4th grade math and it's time for me to decide on which curriculum to use next year.

He is studying on his own more and more while I am caring for the rest of the children since he just wants to know what's next in the textbook. And he has shown good capability to do so. So I decided it's about time to let him do more of the independent study on math, I still would like to help him when he needs help, and want to keep track of where his level is and what he has learned.

We did OK with Singapore, but am considering the switch next year.

I am considering Talking text book and Saxon, and I have few concern.

Talking text book: I heard great things about this, and I like how fun it looks but my concerns are that I do not have a dedicated computer for them. They can use my computer for now, but it's a cheap lap top. I do not know how long it will hold, and when we finally get to buy a desktop for them, I do not think they will let me install the software since it's one installation per software. It will be costly to buy two software. I also would like to keep track of his study and his level, but I am wondering how easy it will be with computer software study. Does it come with a teacher guide? I heard it comes with a workbook.

Saxon: I do not know weather to buy 5/4 or 6/5 at this point. And my another concern is that it look just so plain. If you use it, do your kids like it?

Also, do any of these curriculum lack in any area? (i.e. graphing, geometry, etc)

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates

Last edited by angel nee nee; 12-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talking textbook or Saxon

You mean Teaching Textbooks. You can install it 3 times, afternoon that you just call TT and they will give you a code to put in.

We love TT. Saxon made me cry.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh sorry. lol I was typing while I was doing something else, so I might not make sense.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my older kids we used Singapore until 4th then switched to Saxon. It worked well and both are very strong math students (now both in public high). The only drawback was that there was too much repetition, math came/comes very easy to both, so I would only have them do half of the mixed practice or have them do only evens or odds. They didn't do the extra practice pages.

I've heard good things about TT, but have never used it.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I use Saxon in my class (not a homeschooler-but kind of-I teach a class of 13 3rd-5th graders). They are in Saxon 3, Saxon 5/4, and Saxon 6/5. I like Saxon up to Saxon 3. I don't hate it after that but like you said, it is very plain. However, it is definitely a solid program. There's actually nothing I can say bad about Saxon, except that after Saxon 3 there is no teacher's guide (but there is a CD rom you can get). I don't know anything about TT.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper
You mean Teaching Textbooks. You can install it 3 times, afternoon that you just call TT and they will give you a code to put in. We love TT. Saxon made me cry.
Same- and the kids hated it!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't even bring myself to let my kids see Saxon. I had 3 through Alg2 GIVEN to me.. money is tight here, this would ease my school budget from almost start to finish.... and I just couldn't imagine putting them in front of my kids... even my oldest who is super mathy (he is taking alg2 and trig in 9th grade at a tech school). I will sell my sewing machines to buy TT if it ever comes to that... seriously.

Have you looked at samples of each? The Saxon books have small print on the page... and a lot of it... they are very dry feeling and the whole wordy thing made me feel crazy. I'm "mathy" as well and don't think I could handle Saxon. My younger non-mathy girl is thriving with TT, I have another using McRuffy... which is awesome too but currently only goes up to 5th grade and I think he is only planning on up to 6th. DS who is doing McRuffy has the option of McRuffy or TT and he prefers McRuffy... eventually he will move into TT, he has no choice unless McRuffy does higher levels.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love TT. DD loves it too. She thinks it's fun and it's really easy for both of us. I don't need to grade it. It does all that for me. I can just look over her grade book really quick and see exactly which questions she got wrong. You can get a paper version with an answer key that's identical to the computer version but I've never used it.
We just switched the computer dd uses it on and they gave us no problem at all. I was a little confused when installing it and their customer service was great and helped right away.
Point being, I would highly recommend it other than your computer issue. The kids would need regular access to one to use TT.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
canadianmomof5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
You mean Teaching Textbooks. You can install it 3 times, afternoon that you just call TT and they will give you a code to put in.

We love TT. Saxon made me cry.
Yes- we installed ours twice. We love TT and didn't like saxon. Now we use Khan Academy.
canadianmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Mummyshome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SAXON!! hands down. I have four graduates and two more to go. I've used TT and it is ok, but doesn't cover as much as they need to know. You can get CD's for SAXON as well to assist if needed.