Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Supply Drying Up?!?! UPDATE!!!

How could you tell your milk supply was drying up and what did you do?! I have been struggling the last week or two with supply and today I would guess my little nursling only has gotten a few ounces out of me total if that :/

He is super crabby today and keeps fussing to nurse so I let him but my letdown is taking FOREVER and he gets frustrated. I keep him on until let down happens but within a minute or less after that it seems nothing else is coming out and he gets frustrated again. He will be 11mo next Monday.

The last few days he hasn't been nursing during the night and by 5am I'm pretty full and he nurses forever on both sides in the morning. This morning I felt like there was hardly anything and he also didn't nurse nearly as long...
What is happening and what do I do?

UPDATE
: Supply still struggling but I got my period today so that could have been the cause. If my supply is going to struggle when can I transition DS to whole milk?! He will be 11MO in 2 days.

Advertisement

Last edited by fbtreanor; 12-20-2013 at 04:02 PM.
fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Wholemom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Supply Drying Up?!?!

Is he wetting his diapers? Could you get to a baby scale? Other than oatmeal, plenty of water, fenugreek, and frequent nursing I really don't know. Nurse him and then weigh him right after to gauge how much he's getting. Sorry this is happening.
Wholemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
This can be perfectly normal growth spurts look just like this just let him nurse as much and as long as he wants your body will respond. Try not to stress about it. I know easier said than done.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

How are you doing OP?
My supply dropped drastically when DD was 9 mo, for apparently no reason at all. It came back up with lots of skin to skin, pumping when I could, increased nursing...basically everything I could think of. I never figured out what happened.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++
Registered Users
Formerly: smalltownmama
seller
seller

My Mood:
are you eating/drinking/sleeping enough? it all adds up
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
powell7311
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel like my supply has been drying up.. I am nearly 6 months in and was hoping to continue until a year or more. I've been taking Fenugreek for a week now and haven't seen much of a change.
powell7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you had pp af yet? A lot of women have a decrease in supply a couple days before a period. Have you tried herbs? Eat well, drink a lot, sleep as much as you can and try not to stress. Which is tough, I know.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
powell7311
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had mine yet. A friend that had her baby 3 1/2 months before me is breastfeeding and she just got hers last weekend for the first time. I really hope mine holds off for as long as I am breastfeeding.
powell7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agh geez! I posted this and signed up for notifications in my email otherwise I always forget to check the post and I never got a notification of a response so I forgot about it (I posted on my local la leche league board as well so I was receiving help through there) until I came on here to look for answers for another question! So I apologize for not responding, I really do appreciate the time you take to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholemom View Post
Is he wetting his diapers? Could you get to a baby scale? Other than oatmeal, plenty of water, fenugreek, and frequent nursing I really don't know. Nurse him and then weigh him right after to gauge how much he's getting. Sorry this is happening.
He was wetting his diapers but not nearly as much as before. I have been doing oatmeal and plenty of water daily and trying to nurse as much as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBooty View Post
This can be perfectly normal growth spurts look just like this just let him nurse as much and as long as he wants your body will respond. Try not to stress about it. I know easier said than done.
Trying I work FT and with my hubby being gone temporarily I do all the house stuff (indoor and outdoor... yay for shoveling.. NOT!!!) so I unfortunately dont have much time to take to just chill out and nurse all day/evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
How are you doing OP?
My supply dropped drastically when DD was 9 mo, for apparently no reason at all. It came back up with lots of skin to skin, pumping when I could, increased nursing...basically everything I could think of. I never figured out what happened.
I am struggling now but I just got my period today (almost 11 months postpartum) so that could have been what is causing it... a change in hormones! I didn't think of skin to skin so I will try that and more pumping and nursing as I can this weekend! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama View Post
are you eating/drinking/sleeping enough? it all adds up
I try But my eating/sleeping/drinking habits have been the same since he has been born and I've always had an oversupply or the perfect amount until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell7311 View Post
I feel like my supply has been drying up.. I am nearly 6 months in and was hoping to continue until a year or more. I've been taking Fenugreek for a week now and haven't seen much of a change.
I have had oversupply, or just a little more than he would take at a feeding and so I never needed herbs or supplements to help with supply. He will now be 11MO on the 23rd so I find it silly at this point to look into getting some fenugreek and taking a million pills a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Have you had pp af yet? A lot of women have a decrease in supply a couple days before a period. Have you tried herbs? Eat well, drink a lot, sleep as much as you can and try not to stress. Which is tough, I know.
Just got it today. So that could have been it. I have been trying to be conscious about what I am eating and my water intake. DS sleeps horribly at night (always has) so that is a hard one to control.

Soooo... my next question is DS will be 11MO in 2 days. If my supply if going to permentaly start drying up (hoping it comes back after my period) when can I start DS on whole milk?!
fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Supply Drying Up?!?! UPDATE!!!

your supply should definitely come back after your period, as long as you keep nursing. you could also try fenugreek during your period to help with your supply. i wouldn't start him on whole milk yet, but that's just me.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote