Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Slow gaining

Ok- this may be long but bear with me - I have 4 1/2 month old identical twin girls. They were Mono/di ( shared a placenta) so I was induced at 37 weeks. They were born quickly and vaginally at 6lb4oz and 4lb13oz. Smaller twin spent 5 days in nursery due to blood sugar issues. We have EBF from the start. For the first 6 weeks we were on a 3 hour schedule - nurse, supplement with my BM, pump. Often they would not take the supplement part and I was pumping an extra 15 oz a day. At 6 weeks, we quit the schedule and went to nursing on demand. I have a good letdown and we nurse 10-14 times in a 24 time. So here is the problem, they have always been slow gaining weight. They average 2-4 oz a week, which is below normal. But they are steady gaining- both have gained 3 lbs from birth. I recently quit dairy and while it helped their poops, it did not translate into increases weight gain. I also had their TT and ULT lasered in hopes that would help too but no change. They are developmentally on coourse - roll both ways, smile, laugh, coo, track people, respond to voices. So the Ped referred us to a Ped GI dr. I want to help my girls the best I can but i am deathly afraid that the GI is going to diagnos Failure to thrive and want to hospitalize or completely switch to formula. I am worrying myself sick and the appt is still 3 weeks away. My regular ped is not as concerned as my older son was slow to gain too ( although slightly faster than the twins) and he was always ahead of the curve in milestones. He was at the bottom of the growth chart always. The twins are not even on it. IDK what to do. I tried formula a few times but they wont drink it ( neither would my son) I eat oatmeal, take fegugreek, nurse often.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Slow gaining

No advice here (sorry!), just wanted to tell you that you rock for ebfing your girls...I was getting a little down on myself for supplementing one of my girls (about 2-4oz/day) while the other is ebf, but I realized that even that isn't too shabby...but I KNOW how hard it is & I think you're awesome. Supplementing isn't a huge deal, but it's not necessarily a fix...my ebf baby is my fast gainer, while my supplemented girl is gaining but still tiny...neither of them are on the charts, either (but they are just 4 wks old).
Old 12-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welcome to my world. I weigh my son everyday and if he doesn't gain for a day or 2 I freak out because I know the doctor will.

My son has the milk protein allergy and the whole family is now dairy/soy free. We are supplementing with allimentum as he does tolerate that.

This may be a long shot, but have you tried taking low dose aspirin (provided you can take that and don't have any medical conditions to prevent it)? I was on it while I was pregnant and it helped with blood flow. I am now on it again for the same reason. I also (try) to take iron every day. This helps me mildly with my milk supply.

The biggest help I have is when I feed my son, feed him a bottle, then pump for 15 minutes, then pump again 30 minutes after finishing. I can get a good supply this way but my son is a lazy sucker I think so it only lasts a few days.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Wholemom
Registered Users
seller

I only have experience with singletons but all 3 of my children were in the 6 lb range at birth and only one (the oldest) doubled her weight at 6 months. I wouldn't worry too much about supplementing. You can always drop the supplement once your pediatrician team and you are satisfied with her weight. I know it's hard to stomach even partially giving up bf.
Wholemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I struggled with not wanting to switch one of my twins to formula. He had such bad gas no matter what I ate or drank. He was so much more comfortable with the formula. Now if they won't drink it, I don't know what to do about that.

Maybe just see what the GI wants to do.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Tida
Registered Users
seller

If you don't agree with what the gi ped says, you could ask for a second opinion. Not all doctors agree and some are more willing to work with their patients and families.
Tida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the support, ladies. I just want what is best for them. And I know that formula is not evil, but know that it isn't a fix all either. I emailed Dr Jack Newman (the Canadian BF guru ). He suggested latch help (we see LC weekly), tongue tie eval ( done and cut), breast compression ( already do), domperidone to increase supply (not sure supply is the problem) and starting solids. So any advice for solids with the most calories for weight gain. Also how do I squeeze in some pumping to mix in foods when they nurse 12 times a day?!

Jennifer- I am dairy free now for 6 weeks and it helped their poop for sure. Still think there is something else bothering them. Trying to go soy free now- that is super hard!!! Any ideas whar else could be bothering them? Gluten? Eggs?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I posted about it in another thread, but it's my flavor of the month, so...maybe they have a sensitivity to the fenugreek? One of my girls started w/ some bad diarrhea & spitting up within a day or two of my starting drinking the Mother's Milk Tea. Both girls were gassy & fussy as well -and like yourself, I'm already dairy-free. They could be fine w/ the fenugreek, but I never see anyone mention it as an irritant, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

As far as solids, avocado might be a good option...it's a good first food anyway, but it's full of good fats & is relatively calorie-dense without being empty calories. Maybe your dh could do a "solids" feeding & give you some time to pump? Like, bf, hand off to dh for food, pump? As long as you're comfortable with your schedule & their gain, I wouldn't push it, but maybe if the GI recommends formula you could make up formula w/ bm. Maybe it would improve the flavor so they would take it & increase the calories to help w/ weight gain?