Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Buy nursing bras before or after delivery?

I would like to be as ready as possible for this baby but am not sure if it's a good idea to buy nursing bras now or wait until I have him and see how big I get this time. Did you buy nursing bras before or after delivery?

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Buy nursing bras before or after delivery?

Anything really size specific or structured, I definitely wait at least two weeks after delivery to buy. Nursing tanks or sleep bras are forgiving enough that I buy them before the birth and they work fine--after those first engorged weeks pass.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Juvanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought some before and after, that were one cup and one circumference size larger. But now I am just in love with sports bras. I found it easier to just lift bra and shirt rather than clip and un-clip. I also sliced a little hole and pulled the wire out of some of my regular bras and bought a couple extenders for the back of my bra to allow room for "growth" when I get engorged. Seems to work well for me.
Juvanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
ashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nursing tanks were my BFFs. I bought a couple a size larger because after delivery I was huge. HA! Actually I still wear a nursing tank almost every day. Best investment ever.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
aravae
Registered Users
seller

I'd buy at least one super stretchy (and maybe one size big) nursing tank for those first few weeks. That's all I wore during the engorged and leaking/spraying time. Plus, the stretchy ones can really still work later when if they're big.

I had about 4 nursing bras while I was pregnant, because it was the only comfortable option. 3 were non sized sports types, one was from hot milk, and was a little loose in the cup while i was pregnant, but because it is a soft cup, it didn't really matter. After I delivered and leveled out in size, I bought 3 more nice nursing bras from hot milk that I note wear to work/life, they are one cup size smaller than the original one, since that's the size I was after the engorgement passed.

I would say have a few basics that will be flexible, and then wait to see what size you are for the rest. Also, I mentioned hot milk by name because they are awesome.
aravae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd also vote for nursing tanks or very forgivingly sized unlined nursing bras for at first. I bought lined nursing bras for at work right before going back to work, when I could make sure I'd settled down and that they fit. Unfortunately now the place I'd gotten the blouse-appropriate lined nursing bras no longer carries them in-store, so I'm feeling stuck for this next time around. It was the only store that did 2.5 years ago, so it's not promising that anywhere else has added them.

ETA - While you're still better rested and don't have a screaming hungry infant, now would be the time to scout out the stores in person, see which ones carry in-store the bras you think you'll want to use.

Last edited by twood80; 12-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought a couple that were one size up & they were always way too big for me to wear.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I agree with sleep bras. My favorite were the motherhood maternity ones. They're definitely not wear-to-work bras or anything like that, but they're comfy, forgiving when it comes to size, and they'll get you through while you're lounging around in a tshirt for the first few days/weeks or *cough* months
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! This is super helpful. I will definitely get a sleep/stretchy type one now and a couple of the nursing tanks and will wait on the structured nursing bras for a couple of weeks post partum.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
coralbear
Registered Users
seller

I love the sleep bra. That's what I've been living in for the first 8 weeks. Or I wear nursing tanks when I go out. The clipping and unclipping gets very annoying though. Have a couple nursing bras but none of them fit comfortably at all. Any recommendations of a good bra or a public nursing system?
coralbear is offline   Reply With Quote