Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
coralbear
Registered Users
seller

Introduce a pacifier or not?

My DD is almost two months old and so far is not a fan of the pacifier but if I slyly slide one in at night once she's fallen asleep breastfeeding she might take it (or she might wake up pissed off and want the boob back). We cosleep in the family bed so it's okay for the most part if she falls asleep with the nipple in her mouth but I just could use a little break. We've tried a couple different kinds and I definitely could try harder to get her to like it but I'm kind of torn because I don't want her to get too attached to it and then have it be an issue when we take it away. I don't want her using a pacifier past a year old, I even hear to take it away at four months when their sucking reflex subsides a little. My mom "hates pacifiers" and thinks they cause dental problems in the future. I haven't done any research on whether that's true or not.

Any opinions?

Advertisement

coralbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Me, I wouldn't bother. She doesn't care for it, and it's just one more thing, you know? Eventually, you should be able to slip your nipple out of her mouth while she's sleeping so you can get a break.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Depends. Does she hate the carseat?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
elbarriomama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Introduce a pacifier or not?

we tried to get our daughter interested in the pacifier but she would just turn it over and over in her hand or chew on the wrong side. I definitely think problems *can* develop with a pacifier but only if you let them. If you are comfortable using one, go for it! Maybe stick with the orthodontic ones and only use them in certain zones like in bed or in carseat?
elbarriomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
coralbear
Registered Users
seller

At first she didn't mind the carseat and would just fall asleep but lately she has not been a fan at all. She won't even really suck on a finger to her there is just no substitute to the boob. I like the idea of reserving the binky just for bed or the carseat, that is if I can get her to take one.
coralbear is offline   Reply With Quote