Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
BirdyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:
So My Dog Chewed Her Tail Off

About 2 years ago our dog 11 year old dog Abby was out in the yard with us and she took off running toward the road and somehow her choke chain (yes I know, lesson learned) got caught on the under side of the car she was chasing and and she was run over. She ended up having stitches down her neck, broke both hips, and broke her tail about 6 inches from the tip. The vet said she may need her tail amputated because she thought she might get feces and whatnot on it. We watched her for the next month and she seemed to be able to lift her tail so the vet said their was no need to do the surgery. About 6 months ago YDS came to me and said Abby's tail is gone, I went to find her and she was jumping around happy as can be, I hadn't seen her like that in forever. But sure enough she had chewed the last 6 inches off. Since she chewed it off she will not stop licking it, and it will not close up.

We've had her to the vet and the skin looks healthy, she got bandaged up and she will not keep the bandages on. Even with a cone she rubs against something to get it off. I can't afford to keep taking her to the vet to get bandaged up just for her to take it off. Anyone have any tried and true remedies for healing an animal wound like this?

Advertisement

BirdyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: So My Dog Chewed Her Tail Off

I would (in addition to other ideas people have) Try distracting her by buying her some of those filled real bones, or basting her old ones in broth or gravy.
http://www.redbarninc.com/redbarn-pe...ones-and-more/

Sometimes the butcher has bones in the freezer for very inexpensive. (for dogs)

Maybe this will help to change the habit to chewing something else.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
loving my family
Registered Users

What about putting a cone on her?
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is an inflatable cone at the pet store.

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/100555...ws/reviews.htm
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you tape a sock over the bandage? We do this when our dog obsessively licks her feet until they bleed. She can't get the tape and sock off.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My opinion is that no bandage is better than a damp germ breeding one. You may have to give up on trying to keep it covered if you're past the phase where your dog is sending a fine blood spray across your walls with energetic wagging.

Depending on your dogs size you can put PVC tube, rubber hose, garden hose, pool noodle, cover from a large syringe, long neck from a plastic syrup bottle, hair curler and other like item over the bandaged tail. This only works if your dog won't chew the item to the point of crushing /further damaging his/her tail. If you use something as a tail guard watch your dog closely at first. Just ensure all cut ends are smooth, the guard isn't tight, and the item is as light weight as possible. You can cut some hoses or a pool noodle down the length so it can be wrapped on rather than pulled on. Leave the end of whatever you use open for ventilation. Horse vet wrap is usually the best way to secure bandages, splints, guards. I wouldn't use tape of any sort, it just doesn't work. Just apply the horse vet wrap (wrapping it around the tail) at least twice as high as the injury bandage or guard extends. You can even wrap it the entire length of the tail and around the dogs hips/groin if necessary. The horse vet wrap sticks to itself very well!

Then distract your dog with favorite bones/toys filled with something tasty that's hard to get like peanut butter or spreadable cheese.

If you have to leave it open Blu-Kote is a germicidal wound dressing that stays on better/longer than creams like neosporin. The spray is really easy to apply. Use an old towel to catch overspray (or do it outside). But, don't let your dog lay on your carpeting or furniture until it's dry & clean anything it accidentally gets on ASAP. There are liquid & spray versions - either one turns things blue.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
BirdyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I would (in addition to other ideas people have) Try distracting her by buying her some of those filled real bones, or basting her old ones in broth or gravy.
http://www.redbarninc.com/redbarn-pe...ones-and-more/

Sometimes the butcher has bones in the freezer for very inexpensive. (for dogs)

Maybe this will help to change the habit to chewing something else.
I did notice that when she got her Christmas ham bone she didn't pay much attention to her tail.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
BirdyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
My opinion is that no bandage is better than a damp germ breeding one. You may have to give up on trying to keep it covered if you're past the phase where your dog is sending a fine blood spray across your walls with energetic wagging.

Depending on your dogs size you can put PVC tube, rubber hose, garden hose, pool noodle, cover from a large syringe, long neck from a plastic syrup bottle, hair curler and other like item over the bandaged tail. This only works if your dog won't chew the item to the point of crushing /further damaging his/her tail. If you use something as a tail guard watch your dog closely at first. Just ensure all cut ends are smooth, the guard isn't tight, and the item is as light weight as possible. You can cut some hoses or a pool noodle down the length so it can be wrapped on rather than pulled on. Leave the end of whatever you use open for ventilation. Horse vet wrap is usually the best way to secure bandages, splints, guards. I wouldn't use tape of any sort, it just doesn't work. Just apply the horse vet wrap (wrapping it around the tail) at least twice as high as the injury bandage or guard extends. You can even wrap it the entire length of the tail and around the dogs hips/groin if necessary. The horse vet wrap sticks to itself very well!

Then distract your dog with favorite bones/toys filled with something tasty that's hard to get like peanut butter or spreadable cheese.

If you have to leave it open Blu-Kote is a germicidal wound dressing that stays on better/longer than creams like neosporin. The spray is really easy to apply. Use an old towel to catch overspray (or do it outside). But, don't let your dog lay on your carpeting or furniture until it's dry & clean anything it accidentally gets on ASAP. There are liquid & spray versions - either one turns things blue.
It's isn't bleeding at all, the skin is just raw and there is no hair covering the area, it does sometimes leak a clear fluid though every once in a while. We had been dressing it with vet wrap, gauze, and neosporin but we didn't wrap it up around her hips which might be what we have to do if the other ideas you offered don't work.

Where can I buy the Blu-Kote, would they have it at Tractor Supply?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
BirdyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2sammy View Post
Can you tape a sock over the bandage? We do this when our dog obsessively licks her feet until they bleed. She can't get the tape and sock off.
It really seems like it's at the stage where it needs to be open more for ventilation
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdyLynn
It's isn't bleeding at all, the skin is just raw and there is no hair covering the area, it does sometimes leak a clear fluid though every once in a while. We had been dressing it with vet wrap, gauze, and neosporin but we didn't wrap it up around her hips which might be what we have to do if the other ideas you offered don't work. Where can I buy the Blu-Kote, would they have it at Tractor Supply?
Yup, tractor supply. Good luck! I hate it when our dogs refuse to stop messing with a wound long enough to let it heal.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote