Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Can't eat deli meats?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boys View Post
Listeria (sp? can grow in them....with joe i avoided all deli meats like the plague LOL this time around i cant get enough of BEEF bologna!

your also supposed to avoid soft cheeses..
i almost forgot about soft cheeses, thanks rachael!

i love mexican cheeses but stay away from them while pg, the only cheese i eat are kraft slices and shredded cheese in a bag

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

deli meats are supposed to be avoided because of the possibility of bacteria and I was also told to avoid hot dogs, jerky, meat sticks,pepperoni because of the preservatives.
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Has anyone ever atually heard of someone having a problem from that... NEVER MIND! I'm sure someone will google it and find tons. I was actually meaning pesonally.

And I'm not saying there is NO risk... I'm just saything that there is risk in everything if you want to look close enough. But to what extect do you take it?

I have a 5yo and 1.5yo and did not hear anything about this with either of them.

I really didn't mean to upset anyone... I just hate to see peopel get scared to death over things that are probably minimal risk... I'm sorry, please don't flame me. I didn't mean to turn this into a heated thread. Not my nature at all.
mhibberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
maxnmoll
Registered Users

My Mood:

I ate deli meats with my first pregnancy, but avoided them during my 2nd and now during my 3rd. There's a slim chance that the meat could contain the bacteria that causes Listeria, and you're actually MORE susceptible to becoming sick when you're pregnant. If you do get Listeria, it's a serious infection that can cause an infection in your uterus, leading to miscarriage. So....while I think that it doesn't do us any good to spend our pregnancies worrying over every little thing, this one seems like a reasonable precaution to take.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had not heard this. I am pregnant with my 3rd and still haven't heard that.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
evandmp
Surrounded by Geminis!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Has anyone ever atually heard of someone having a problem from that...
Not the meat but yes to the cheese. I was born early due to my mom eating Que Rico cheese.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi! I believe it is Listeria that is possible to get from deli meats and cheese, a type of bacteria that causes food poisoning. What my ob/gyn told me was occasionaly it was okay, but the fresher the better! Obviously, but what I mean is don't get presliced, ask them to slice to order. The least amount of handling and cross contamination is best. Don't get the special "sale" item, as it is possible they are trying to get rid of it because its "freshness is not so fresh"
sweety13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #18
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you are fine. Most commercially prepared deli meats in the US are safe. Maybe avoid it in the future, but you are definitely okay this time (if you're not having severe vomiting, diarrhea, and high fever, of course). The risk comes from Listeriosis, which you are more susceptable to as a pregnant woman. In fact, pregnant women, children, the elderly, and immunocompromised are at greater risk for ALL foodborne illness. Take reasonable precaution (i.e. making sure food is cooked to 140 deg. F, refrigerated below 40 deg. F, deli meats are steamed, and only eating soft cheeses that are from the US and pasteurized), but otherwise, live your life. ;-)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety13 View Post
Hi! I believe it is Listeria that is possible to get from deli meats and cheese, a type of bacteria that causes food poisoning. What my ob/gyn told me was occasionaly it was okay, but the fresher the better! Obviously, but what I mean is don't get presliced, ask them to slice to order. The least amount of handling and cross contamination is best. Don't get the special "sale" item, as it is possible they are trying to get rid of it because its "freshness is not so fresh"

I just wanted to add that I have worked in three delis and sales do NOT mean that they are going bad. Not at all... at least not with big chains. I'm not speaking for smaller stores. Could be true for them. But with big chains, the sale is chain wide and has nothing to do with stock. However, items marked with "manager's special" discounts ARE to get them to sell fast before they go bad.
mhibberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt eat it after I heard about it.. I personally think that we tend to think everything causes cancer... lol... but I am the nut who is like.. oK.. if you say so .. I wont eat apples... till the day after 8 weeks..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote