Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #21
Goddess_Heather
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't eat deli meats?????

I am 22 weeks and i CRAVE open face roast beef sandwices like mad. You can heat the meat for like 20 seconds and its safe. or make a grilled cheese and meat sandwich or subway and quiznos can toast it for you and they are safe too. Just an option.

Advertisement

Goddess_Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What PP said.
My OB warned against eating lunch meats due to Listeria bacteria, but said grilled or heated sandwiches kill the bacteria and are ok.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #23
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I heard this. I think you will be ok. It is just that with meat sitting in a deli case it is more likely to start growing bacteria and such on it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #24
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well ds1 is 2 now and they said that when preg with him and also this preg (different drs/states) so its been known for some time now. I just watch it and eat in moderation....I don't think theres anything to worry about.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #25
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks again guys! I'm not as paranoid about it today! I think it is a rare thing! but better to be safe then sorry right!! From now on i will only eat them if reheated!!! mmmmm-- hot roast beef with mozarella--- now that sounds good!
mms1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #26
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Re: Can't eat deli meats?????

I haven't read the above posts but yes what you've heard is true. Lysteria comes from meats and cheeses that are either not pasturised (cheese) or have not been kept at the proper temperature. The problem w/deli meats is you don't know what the condition of the meat is BEFORE you see it at the deli. The deli may take excellent care of it and keep it at the right temp but the person/company that transported it them may not have. It you heat the deli meat to steaming your fine. I however wouldn't risk it. Lysteria isn't fatal to you but it is to your fetus. 80% of people contract Lysteria each year but you never know it b/c your body naturaly fights it off. If a fetus has been infected with Lysteria chances are high it will not survive. The good news is there are only a very limited number of cases each year in the US of Lysteria so really your chances are low. My doctor however said it wasn't worth the risk. You wouldn't know you contracted Lysteria until you start to bleed so to be on the safe side either stay away from unpasturised cheeses, deli meats and hot dogs or make sure you heat them to steaming (thus killing the bacteria) I'm sure that's way more than you wanted to know but I hope this helps. I hate not being able to eat at subway. I supose I could if I asked them to heat it to steaming but then its way soggy and not very yummy.