Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:
not making enough milk for both babies!!!

Serious problem!!! I was taking the twins in for check ups and they kept loosing weight!! serious weight!! Isaac got down to 5 lb 4 oz from the 6 lb 3 oz he was at birth and Iris got down to 5 lb 15 oz from the 6 lb 13 oz she was at birth!! They were almost admitted to the hospital...so I decided to pump my milk to give them out of a bottle and to see how much I was making....well after 15 min of pumping I hardly had an oz outta each boob!!!

I since started mixing my measly oz with formula to pick up their weight and it has worked so far but will I ever make enough to feed my babies soley bm??? I am trying all things possible but I am soooo bummed that I cant bf them all the time!!

Any self esteem boosters?? I am super bummed......why is this happening??

Advertisement

luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: not making enough milk for both babies!!!

Please please see a lactation consultant before you get in a bad pattern of supplementing.

What you pump has NO bearing on what you actually produce.

Also, losing weight right after birth - 10% - is normal. If they continued to lose after that then it's cause for concern, yes.

How many wet diapers per day do they have?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping doesn't work as efficiently as your babies do. If you want to make more milk, have them nurse more. Of course you can still bottle feed them the formula, but the more you nurse, the more milk you make. You can do it, Mama!!!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

If you can get your hands on some domperidone that will boost your supply. You could see if your doc will write you a script. I would take some fenugreek and eat lots of oatmeal! GL mama.

Try not to stress because that will make your supply less...
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry.. all babies lose weight first initially. I did the same thing with my last baby.. I decided to pump for some reason and only got an ounce. I was very worried.. until I read that newborns dont drink that much at first anyway. I think that early BM is more concentrated.... I would contact your local LaLeche League Leader. I am sure they can help. Supplementing can sometimes reduce your supply. Your babies are less than a month old.. this is very common. As long as they continue to have wet dipes they are ok. Don't give up.. seriously contact the LL leader through the website. I just went to a conference this weekend and many mothers are mislead to think they can supplement until more milk comes in.

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
What you pump has NO bearing on what you actually produce.
I couldn't agree with this more. I can't even pump out 2 ounces from BOTH boobs and I have been feeding my little girl for 3 months!! So pumping definitely isn't an accurate way to show how much milk they are getting. The best way to tell how much they are getting is to weigh them, nurse them, then weigh them again!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:

I spent 3 hours with the lc at the hospital the other day and left feeling good but now I feel terrible....they have lots of wet dipes daily...like 8-10 in a 12 hour period....but they just got soooo tiny
I feel my milk drop often too.....
the lc reccomended that I feed them (nurse them) then pump...any one else try this...I DESPERATLY want to ebf the twins

also I have mondo huge nipples (sorry if tmi) and the lc said maybe they dont get a good latch...not enough of the areola??

Thanks for the info so far mommas!!! I soooo need this to work
luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could also try a Supplemental nursing system from Medela. Fill it with either breast milk or formula and that way your still stimulating your breasts to make more without having to deal with a fussy hungry baby. I third the pumping thing, you can't always go by that...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
erynn42
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree they are young, supplementing *may* not be best. i don't know exactly the situation though. How early were your twins? I've heard they sometimes don't get as much milk at first because they aren't as efficient suckers at first?? But they will get it. I've heard that because of what I just said, it's important to pump after feeding each time. Not neccessarily to give to them, but to build up your supply for when they are able to drink more efficiently.

hope some ebf twin mommies come on and answer for you.
erynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they nurse 8-12 time in 24 hours with at least 5 wet diapers, and 2-10 poopies a day then they are getting enough milk.

Can you get another weight check in a week?

If you continue to supplement, be sure they nurse as long as they want first. If you supplement with formula, try to pump so that you don't "fall behind". Then you can give the pumped milk at the next supplement and try ditch the formula.

Rule #1 feed a hungry baby. Try to really tease out what is true concern regarding their milk intake, and what is not. It can be hard. I have been there on many, many occasions.

I've also ebf'ed twins, so feel free to pm me if you want to talk more privately.