Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:
Re: not making enough milk for both babies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynn42 View Post
I agree they are young, supplementing *may* not be best. i don't know exactly the situation though. How early were your twins? I've heard they sometimes don't get as much milk at first because they aren't as efficient suckers at first?? But they will get it. I've heard that because of what I just said, it's important to pump after feeding each time. Not neccessarily to give to them, but to build up your supply for when they are able to drink more efficiently.

hope some ebf twin mommies come on and answer for you.
they were born at 37 wks and 5 days....so not too early...
I hope there are some ebf twin mommies out there

Advertisement

luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I think what would ease your mind the most is to go to the ped or LC and do (I don't know what this is called, but this is the *process*).

Change diapers, weigh twins.
nurse twins till content/usual length of time.
Reweigh twins (LEAVE DIAPERS ON)
the difference in weight is how much they actually fed. This may not be more then 2oz currently given their weight and age, so don't expect big numbers.

have you read www.kellymom.com ? It's a GREAT resource.

Try to get enough sleep (I know that's gotta be near impossible with nursing twins!), enough water, enough food. Oatmeal, ice cream, and fenugreek are good supply builders to start with.

If you do have a true low supply or they continue to lose weight, I cannot suggest domperidone enough, that did WONDERS for me and for many women I know. Reglan did nothing for me personally.

You can either pump after feeding OR let them comfort nurse - they are more efficient then a pump. Either one just helps tell your body to produce more milk, it's the pumping/nursing that's important for these supply building sessions and not the actual output you get.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
aimeejf
Registered Users
seller

How much to the babies weigh now? My ped told us that babies are expected to be back up to their birth weight by two weeks old. Formula fed babies often gain it back sooner, but two weeks is fine for a BF baby (you have to wait for the milk to come in, etc). The only advice I would give is what has already been said - first, don't worry about how much you can pump... my little man is in the 95th percentile and I can still only get about 3 ounces (from BOTH sides) at a time. And I would really stress what others have said about the dangers of supplementing. Do what you have to do - but remember that BFing is all about supply and demand. The more you nurse, the more you produce. Keep those babies at the breast as much as you can.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I PM'd you another resource but hang in there, mama. I did supplement but not for long. My LCs had me pumping after every feeding for close to the first month to help get a little more supply. Also just wanted to add my babies never really gained fast in the first place. I know I had a good supply and still do they just aren't fast growers and that could be your case as well.
You're doing a great, wonderful, and very difficult thing! It is worth every time you pump and all this frustration! You are doing awesome!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my LC had me pump after dd nursed-mainly to get my milk in quicker bc she was little and loosing weight and we were trying to get ehr home.....she started out at 5 lb 13 oz and dropped to 5 lb 3 oz in 3 days but then my milk super came in and she started drowning in it now she is bigger than others her age but i also started drinking mothers milk tea made by Yogi and to this day if i drink a cup i start squirting....if you cant find any near you lmk the organic store near me has it super cheap
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of good advice already. Hang in there mama! You're doing your best! I hope some of the ebf twin mommies can help you out!!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2recycle View Post
also I have mondo huge nipples (sorry if tmi) and the lc said maybe they dont get a good latch...not enough of the areola??
You might want to try nursing them in a different position. Like if you are doing the cradle hold now, switch to the football hold. With the football hold it might be easier to smoosh your areola down so baby can take more of it in.

And I second the suggestion of a SNS. If you absolutly must give formula do it while stimulating your breasts and avoid the whole nipple confusion problem.

HTH!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot, make sure you have a really good (hospital grade) pump. You can usually rent one for a short time from your Ped or LC.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
aimeejf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyinAlaska View Post
You might want to try nursing them in a different position. Like if you are doing the cradle hold now, switch to the football hold. With the football hold it might be easier to smoosh your areola down so baby can take more of it in.
I'm an old pro now, lol, but when I first started nursing my DD, the only way I could do it was the football hold. She latched better and I felt like I had better control... I'd really recommend it if you aren't already feeding this way.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ PPeople-domperidome (?), pump after any feeds that you can, get a good lac spec who is encouraging. I don't get much milk from pumping, but baby is fine. Holding them on you skin to skin is helpful, too. and when you pump, pump at least 15 min-and think stimulation, stimulation-don't even look at how much milk comes out-it's the stimulation that matters, not what the pump can or can't pull out.