Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fruit trees...anything know anything about them?

I want to get some apple trees and maybe pear or peach. Does anyone know anything about these trees and how to take care of them etc?

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
md*s_wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fruit trees...anything know anything about them?

We've got a number of apple trees and a couple pear trees. All but one were already planted and mature when we purchased our home, though DH does prune them, etc..... so no real help there, but here's a link to the DIY network and they have some basics that might help.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_fru...685288,00.html

Good luck!!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Fruit trees...anything know anything about them?

Hi. I just planted peach, pear and apple trees within the last two years. What types of things do you want to know???? I will try to answer any questions I can and if I do not know the answer my dad most certainly will. We had fruit trees all the while we were growing up.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We own apples pears peaches plum and cherrry trees.Grape vines blueberries strawberries and black/red raspberries...Whew I think I got it all.
The trees are real easy..they will come with planting directions and fertilizing etc.Then just make sure they have enough water especially the first year.
Right now though its getting too late to plant them without lots of extra love...its preferred early spring or late fall.
Now as to size full size trees have a longer life expectancy and give you more shade but can take longer to produce friut-depending on the type of fruit.
Because we have lots of land we personally like the look of the full size trees better and we have plenty of space for them.
Semi dwarf has benfits of both a little hardier in the life span and tend to produce a little sooner.
Dwarfs produce about as much fruit as a full size tree can but are much smaller so if space is an issue they are great.Unless you are small they are not the best shade trees around.They also tend to produce sooner than a full size
We have all 3 sizes mostly full size but one semi apple and one dwarf peach which was a company freebie we got.
Once they get growing proper pruning will keep the trees healty and the optimum fruit crops coming for years.
That said we lost all of our fruit crop this year record hot march lead to all the trees blooming early then a record cold freeze in April
Once you plant a few you will be hooked
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
LeighaGrace
Registered Users

That Easter freeze go us too! Sorry about your apples. Depending on where you live your local land grant college (which has extension agents) will have a web site about plants and trees for your specific area. I have learned the hard way that full sun does not mean full sun at my place. We are just starting a blueberry plot. Any advise HBuehler? I know no lime and lots of water but that's about it and we have alot of full sun.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

I grew up on an apple farm! Don't know what you want to know though.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blueberries They are hard to get started but once you get thru the first winter and they come back out alive you have it made!! Lots of water especially the first year...ours are at least 10 years now and have gone thru 3 summers of severe drought-this year included and they are fine without water...where they are watering is not easy.
Once they are established they are very hardy.Ours are also not in full sun...we must be near each other-full sun here is baked ground with cracks nothing needs full sun here
My other tip get some early mid and late berry bushes and you can extend blueberry season for weeks.Tip #2 when they start producing put a bird net over them or you wont get one Tip #3 keep an eye on the kiddos or you wont get any either-mine just go out to the blueberries and eat thier lunch off the bushes
We are goingto get about a quarter of the blueberry crop this year the late bushes were just coming out so they were spared some.
Having your own fruit is addicting...so nice to go pick it and eat it.I'm lost this year.We have never lost every fruit crop in the same year and this is the very first loosing all the apples..peaches are always iffy we are right on that peach line.