Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
gbird1
Registered Users

My Mood:
4 week old slow to gain...

Hey there So I just got back from my 1 month doctor's visit where my 4 week/2 day old daughter is just now back at her birth weight of 7 lbs 9 oz. I have been worried that she is so little for the past couple weeks, upping her feedings to every 2-2.5 hours, but I thought for sure she would be more than that!! She is peeing and pooping lots, and Im pretty sure I drain at least one boob each time to make sure she gets hindmilk. The only thing is that she is a sleepy baby while she eats and it feels to me that she may not be efficiently feeding, even though her dipes tell me otherwise, and I do all I can to keep her alert. I also feel like my boobs are just a little "deflated", like they have trouble keeping up with how much I want to feed her. Maybe I don't have enough in there? Ugh!!

So my doctor suggested pumping each breast to see how much Im getting, and also after a feeding, where I feel like I have given all Ive got, to try and give her either 4 oz of the pumped breastmilk or formula, and if she eats it all up on top of what Ive breastfed her, then Im not producing enough for her.

What do you all think about introducing formula, even just 4 oz after a feed to see if she needs more? Ive never fed her from a bottle before either. What am in for if I start this? Im going to try and pump extra, to use my own milk instead, Im just worried that I won't have enough to feed her at the next feeding.

Any advice out there? Thanks!!

Advertisement

gbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 4 week old slow to gain...

I'm not going to state my opinion on supplementing. Instead:

Pumping is NOT an accurate measure of how much your LO is getting. Wet and soiled dipes are.

Not every baby gains weight quickly. The growth chart allows an average of the overachievers and the failure to thrive babies. Most babes are somewhere in between and gain weight their own way and could care less about "normal".

Some babies go through a period of being sleepy when nursing. Mine did. They do grow out of it. A baby will tell you when they're hungry or full.

Only a very small percentage of women aren't able to produce enough to support their LO's needs. All the rest of us could nurse our LOs just fine if only all the nosey Nora's didn't bother us about how often to feed, how long they feed at each session, how many dirty dipes, how many ounces gained per week.

My LO has only ever taken one boob per feeding and for a max. of 7 minutes.

Go with your instincts. If you feel emptier after feeding, babe is content and getting enough wet and soiled dipes.......
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=gbird1;1179435]Hey there So I just got back from my 1 month doctor's visit where my 4 week/2 day old daughter is just now back at her birth weight of 7 lbs 9 oz.[QUOTE]

FWIW having babe back at birth weight by one month is within "normal". It's not breaking any records but why do us Moms always feel like we're doing something wrong if our LO isn't the biggest, smartest, etc.... I am guilty of this too cuz there's so much pressure to be a good Mom raising the BEST....
Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

My dd has been a slow gainer (dd1 was as well). IMO as long as she has been gaining she is fine.

And the pp is right about puming. A baby is much better at expressing milk than a pump. Unfortuanatly there is really no way to tell how much she's getting.

In our house we go by these standards...
Are they peeing and pooping and generally hydrated?
Do they have enough active/alert time for their age?
Are they gaining and not losing?

As long as they meet these criteria we consider them to be well fed?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

please dont supplement. it is normal for a breastfed baby to be at their birthweight after 4 weeks. let baby tell you when he/she is hungry, not the clock. if you start to introduce formula, you will not make enough milk for baby. your breast create milk on a supply and demand basis. if you are taking away some of the demand by supplements, you will soon find your supply diminishing.

the diapers should tell the story. if he has atleast 5 poopy diapers and 5 wet diapers by the 5th day (after birth) then he is eating plenty. those poopy diapers should be coming a little less frequently now that your baby is older. if you have any more questions you can always pm me.

also another idea is to contact a local LC in your area, preferably an IBCLC.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
It's A Snap Diapers
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I would be a little concerned. I thought babes were suppose to regain birth weight by two weeks?

An an ounce a day is average gain for a breastfed baby is it not?

A bottle is a good idea IMO. What if something happens and you really NEED to give your babe a bottle? She will be stressed and upset if she has never had one.

I may be in the minority but it is what works for our family and you really have to go with your gut on this one and choose what is best for your little one. I did and I have not regretted my choice at all.
It's A Snap Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlink34 View Post
I would be a little concerned. I thought babes were suppose to regain birth weight by two weeks?

A bottle is a good idea IMO. What if something happens and you really NEED to give your babe a bottle? She will be stressed and upset if she has never had one.

I may be in the minority but it is what works for our family and you really have to go with your gut on this one and choose what is best for your little one. I did and I have not regretted my choice at all.
i really dont advise this. there are other ways to give formula rather than a bottle. such as a medicine dropper or your finger. most bf babies can take a bottle later on with no issues, without being stressed out.

like i said, if you begin to supplement this early in the game, your supply will suffer.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlink34 View Post

I agree you need to do what's best for yourself and your family.

I do not agree with some of this post because the info. is not complete and will lead some Mamas to thinking that their LO is not thriving and she may initiate measures that will likely sabotage her BFing.

I am not trying to start something or be rude. I just HATE when Mamas get scared into supplementing, etc.

Last edited by jaceraden; 05-29-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I would not supplement either. I am not against giving a baby a bottle, but I would not supplement with formula. I think your dr expectations of her eating are absurb. They want you to nurse her and then her eat 4oz on top of that? My ds is 1 yr and only takes 6 oz out of a bottle ever!!!

If you start to supplement your supply is going to decrease. Doesn't sound like your dr is pro BFing. My ds3 as well was only at his birth weight at 1 month. He has always been small.

I think I would give it another month. I assume you will be going back for your 2 month check up. If at 2 months she still isn't gaining there might be a reason to worry. But if your baby isn't acting like it is starved and is producing enough wet/poopy diapers than you really shouldn't worry. Your LO probably will follow their own growth curve.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just hoping you're not feeling bombarded by some strong opinions... If you want some answers from LLL leaders- there's a mother-to-mother support site u can visit:
http://llleus.org/forums/
Leaders also visit the site to give advice....