Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing strike

Is it possible that just one bottle a day would put an 11 month old into a nursing strike? Yesterday he downed 7oz like it was going outta style...but last night before bed he didn't want to nurse...just a few "sips" and that was it...then he did the same this morning when he got up. I had planned on making it to a year (we are close) and I have frozen milk (around 150/ 200oz) so I can use that...

Would that one silly bottle a day (started 4ish days ago with it) really cause such trouble for him? I can still pump and feed him of course I am use surprised is all. He never really has seen nursing as anything other than eating...ever...hes always been just about the food.

Any thoughts?

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing strike

More than likely it's not the bottle but the age. My dd started acting like she was almost done nursing at that age. I then researched self weaning and such and found that MOST babies WILL NOT self wean that early but will go on strikes. They get too interested in EVERYTHING else around them and not nursing, especially the ones that are connected for comfort, My dd was like that too. Anyway I continued to remind her and offer and finally I just decided to not worry about it. I offered and offered and if she refused fine at least I tried. Now at 21 months shes' going STRONG and loving it. She even asks for it now. I love it. I'd say just hang in there you're doing GREAT. Good luck!
BTW: at that age my dd went to bed a few times without nursing and it was VERY VERY hard to nurse her first thing in the mornings. She finally grew outta that and now ALWAYS nurses at least a bit at night and first thing in the morning. He may slow down his number of sessions but don't worry!!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing strike

yep this happened to me. If I refused the bottle he just refused to eat/nurse. He lost about a pound. He wanted to look at everything and one little sound makes him pop off. But he always nursed well at night.

I had to pump during the day for about 2 months and btu I still offerend the boob first then woudl pump. uh, what a pain but he's better now and will nurse. but once I start using bottle again he refuses the breast again for bit.

I get much less milk pumping though and had to take domperidone to keep my milk supply up.