Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes my 5 year old has a galaxy tab ( same thing as an IPad). We use it for school since we homeschool and for travel. We do not use it daily . We use it MAYBE once or twice a week for short periods. If we are traveling ds will use it more often .

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Does your (4,5,6) year old have an ipad?

No. My kids are 5, 7, and 9, and have no electronic device of their own. I don't see that changing for a while.

They get some computer (desktop) or TV time every day, or they can borrow DH's old iPod on occasion.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Both of our 4yr olds have one. They probably started really using mine or DHs when they were 2. I couldn't imagine not providing them with the ability to excel at becoming/being technologically literate/inclined.

My kids use them to play games, do yoga & kids exercise routines, design clothing, draw, read, create photo albums, write their own stories, orchestrate puppet shows, explore our solar system, explore the animal kingdom, redesign their bedroom & playroom, listen to music, record songs, watch movies/shows, style hair, check the kids weather forecast, learn about the water cycle, learn about anatomy/physiology, learn about photosynthesis, learn about plant life cycles, explore current & ancient cultures, do basic addition/subtraction, count money, and so much more....... And they are only 4.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama
I dont even have one! And dd will not even be able to use a computer until she is 12-14 years old (other then education, limited time). DH has his MBA and is a Software Analyst, he thinks screen rot brains
Funny how different & yet similar people can be. My DH has 2 master's degrees and heads up IT security for 2 of the 5 main branch offices of the Federal Reserve. He's currently planning the take over of several of the Minneapolis offices IT security functions. Yet, we hold the opposing view to your feelings revolving around children and technology usage. We've actually sent our 4yr olds to a robotics day camp - it was amazing!

I'm wondering if you plan to home school & limit their social interactions with their peers? Or, do you have other plans on how to segregate your children from computers/tablets/smart phones/book readers for such a long term? I would think it must be a daunting task to withhold technology from children for 12-14 yrs. Are you not concerned it will be difficult to get them up to speed so they can utilize current technologies well at that late age?
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope. My kids don't get much electronic time (and I like it that way!) so it would be a waste.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Funny how different & yet similar people can be. My DH has 2 master's degrees and heads up IT security for 2 of the 5 main branch offices of the Federal Reserve. He's currently planning the take over of several of the Minneapolis offices IT security functions. Yet, we hold the opposing view to your feelings revolving around children and technology usage. We've actually sent our 4yr olds to a robotics day camp - it was amazing!

I'm wondering if you plan to home school & limit their social interactions with their peers? Or, do you have other plans on how to segregate your children from computers/tablets/smart phones/book readers for such a long term? I would think it must be a daunting task to withhold technology from children for 12-14 yrs. Are you not concerned it will be difficult to get them up to speed so they can utilize current technologies well at that late age?
Our husbands are much alike in the work field, mine served in the military for 10 years (was deployed a couple times) and currently works in the IT department for the UW system in Wisconsin.

Our children have plenty of social interactions at church, we attend there multiple days a week and see many close friends/family who live near by. She will also be in dance, swimming and piano lessons with many of these close friends (no more then that). She willl use a computer to learn to type, write reports, powerpoint, excel, ect... for school actives (like I stated before). I was not harmed by it and DH who never had a computer growing up is doing very well for us.

Are you scared that your children will not learn how to delay gratification with all their electronic use? That maybe they will miss out on childhood imaginations? Sure, robots are great and fun but will they know what it is like to ride around in the back of a pick up truck TP'ing other kids houses for the fun of it, then trying to run away before they get caught - or will they be next to their best friend staring at a screening playing a game?
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 3 kids have Kindle Fires. They are 7, 4, and 2. They wait a lot while oldest DD has karate (2 year old waits 90 minutes twice a week and 4 year old waits an hour) so they have them for netflix to pass the time. We limit use around the house, but use tgem a lot for waiting places (bowling, violin, scouts, karate, doc, etc.) My younger two spend a lot of time waiting quietly.

How it went down was...

I had a Kindle and DH had a Kindle. The kids borrow "our" Kindles, and then when DD2 got to be old enough to enjoy it, I bought myself a newer Kindle. So, the Kindles don't belong to the kids, exactly. Mommy and Daddy own 3 Kindles, and kids get to use them when we feel like they need them.

We also have 2 LeapPads, and a Leapster. Those belong to the kids.

I don't have to regulate screen time on the Leapsters. They get bored after about 10 minutes on those. I do have to regulate the Kindles some...if I turn the TV off, DS will go looking for a Kindle---um...no. I have to regulate the Wii way more than I do the Kindles.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 5 and has had the first generation Leappad for about 2 years now.

Seeing how we were JUST gifted a Kindle, I don't see my son upgrading anytime soon. My 6 month old loves the TV remote (screams when he wants to play with it and you are using it), but that doesn't mean I am going to get him a TV. My
Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Yes my 5 year old has an iPad mini. It was a gift from my husbands business partner.

He has free access to it as it is his. He knows he has to take care of it or I take it away.

I will frequently see him sitting in the lazy boy listening to music or listening to those read along books.

He also grabs it and watches netflix on the weekends when I don't want to get up at 6am.

I'm okay with him having it. He doesn't know the App Store password and we have to okay anything put on it. We do have skype so grandma can call him in it. Or I'll use it to call her.
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #20
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

My son has an ipad one that his grandma sent DH and DH doesn't use so he gave it to the boys. It's not connected to the internet. If we download a game, we immediately disconnect the wifi. He has limited access to it during the day (maybe 30 mins a day depending on how much tv he watched that day. We do about 2 hours max. Screen time combined.) it has educational games, and a few just for fun. We also have movies on there for long road trips to keep me sane.

He also uses it for his kids yoga videos and his nightly guided meditation.

Ds2 has a few games on there, but at 2 he really doesn't use it much at all.

I would have never bought them one and would have just shared mine, but it's nice to have it.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote