Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

History recommendations?

History recommendations?? We have been doing mystery of history this year. There are many things I enjoy about it but I'm beginning to look at it as a chore... And I think the kids are too. I love the timeline idea, I love the activities that go with the lessons, I love that I combine the two for history class, that its chronological and biblical .... I am not a fan of the actual reading part. I am beginning to feel like we are just reading out of a text book. Which is not what I want. History was my worst subject growing up and I am sure this is why. I'd love more of a literature based curriculum. My kids are currently k and 3rd grade. They both love magic tree house. It encourages them to look deeper into different historical events because they feel like they were actually there first hand. After studying mlk day it led to talk off slavery, President Lincoln, etc. they are learning and enjoying but I feel like I need a guideline so we don't miss something big. Any ideas?

Advertisement

fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: History recommendations?

Truthquest. You need a good library, but it is a good spine. It is really JUST a spine. It goes in chronological order and basically just gives a list of books. You and your children learn through books -- some historic fiction, mostly non-fiction, and you can always throw in videos as you like. When we did the Revolutionary War, we worked in Liberty's Kids, which the kids enjoyed. At the elementary age, I think they only really have American history, but I'm not positive on that.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Truthquest or Veritas Press. Or buy both since the books/perspective in TQ are great. VP has the bible/history, lesson plans, timelines, & activities.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Anybody know anything about using All Through the Ages as a stand alone? It gives the order and shows a timeline. I was thinkin using it and follow its guideline for what to study when and keeping a timeline ourselves as well? I'm stressing over history every time I read the Rebecca Rupp Home Learning Year by Year. The history, geography section overwhelms me every time. But I don't want just a checklist that we feel that we are pushing hut ugh just to cross off.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beautiful Feet! It is literature based, has notebooking and timelines and you could easily combine your kids.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are going with Beautiful Feet next year, the Early American History.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another option, if you have a decent library system, is to get Usborne's World History and roughly go through each section (I think they are mostly 2-4 page spreads) and then go check to see what your library has. Pick those books that interest you, read them, maybe do a little narration, some mapwork, add events to your timeline and call it good. Of course, that depends on the age of your children. I would have no problem doing this kind of thing for under 8th, but not for high school.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse
Another option, if you have a decent library system, is to get Usborne's World History and roughly go through each section (I think they are mostly 2-4 page spreads) and then go check to see what your library has. Pick those books that interest you, read them, maybe do a little narration, some mapwork, add events to your timeline and call it good. Of course, that depends on the age of your children. I would have no problem doing this kind of thing for under 8th, but not for high school.
This is actually where I'm leaning and using All Through The Ages to help picking out the books.... I'm so worried I a going to be missing something.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofhearts View Post
This is actually where I'm leaning and using All Through The Ages to help picking out the books.... I'm so worried I a going to be missing something.
No matter the curriculum there will be something covered in one the other might not and vice versa. Plus history is so big.
This methos is actually excellent. Don't worry!

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I am planning on using Heart of Dakota for my History and Science next year. I haven't used it yet but it seems like you you might like it. It's literature based with activities in the teachers manual. I want us to read a lot next year. Good luck!