Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: History recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Another option, if you have a decent library system, is to get Usborne's World History and roughly go through each section (I think they are mostly 2-4 page spreads) and then go check to see what your library has. Pick those books that interest you, read them, maybe do a little narration, some mapwork, add events to your timeline and call it good. Of course, that depends on the age of your children. I would have no problem doing this kind of thing for under 8th, but not for high school.
This is essentially what we do but with Kingfisher. The boys got sort of bored though and now we are using Kingfishers Ancient History, it is a little more narrative so we are just reading through it combined with Horrible Histories (that fit whichever section we are reading). When we finish Ancient History we will reevaluate and decide if we want to go back to the history encyclopedia or if we want to move on to something else. I think we may move on to American history at that point.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: History recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofhearts View Post
Anybody know anything about using All Through the Ages as a stand alone? It gives the order and shows a timeline. I was thinkin using it and follow its guideline for what to study when and keeping a timeline ourselves as well? I'm stressing over history every time I read the Rebecca Rupp Home Learning Year by Year. The history, geography section overwhelms me every time. But I don't want just a checklist that we feel that we are pushing hut ugh just to cross off.
Please let us know if this is what you decide to do and how it goes. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with ATTA, but got overwhelmed and tentatively decided to start with MOH next year. I have the same concerns as you--I am worried MOH will be boring textbook, yet I feel like we need the structure and activity suggestions to keep things cohesive. I have looked at My Father's World and Sonlight because both use living books instead of textbooks, and have the actviities and such all laid out for you, but they don't cycle the way I want them to. I want to do a 4-year cycle from Creation to Modern Times, and do it 3 times with each child (but all at the same time) from 1st through 12th grade. I can't figure out any other way to do it....

Last edited by Melinda29; 03-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29

Please let us know if this is what you decide to do and how it goes. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with ATTA, but got overwhelmed and tentatively decided to start with MOH next year. I have the same concerns as you--I am worried MOH will be boring textbook, yet I feel like we need the structure and activity suggestions to keep things cohesive. I have looked at My Father's World and Sonlight because both use living books instead of textbooks, and have the actviities and such all laid out for you, but they don't cycle the way I want them to. I want to do a 4-year cycle from Creation to Modern Times, and do it 3 times with each child (but all at the same time) from 1st through 12th grade. I can't figure out any other way to do it....
I bought from eBay to usborne encyclopedia with Internet links..... I'm on an email list to get atta used. If by may I haven't gotten I will go ahead and buy it new. I'm still debating back on forth of using story of the world as well. I made up a timeline sheet to use and put in a 3 ring binder and I checked out Well Trained Mind and took a lot of notes on history there. I figure if I know what our topic is then can find the books and a simple google search or Pinterest can come up with activities to correlate. I have also seen a lot of note booking pages for living books that's I think we'll use on 1 book each topic. We will see how it goes! I figure if we try it and like it the great. If we don't then not out a ton and can try something else. I do know if we continue with moh that the kids and I will all get burnt out!!
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote