Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:
Super pumped!! and side note about pins.

So this thread isn't really about much other then the fact that I am super pumped for my fluffy mail and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I order a bunch of mama cloth to try out, as well as two fleece wrap type covers from twinkle toes and two fitted diapers one from little boppers and one mutt. And I am going CRAZY OUT OF MY MIND WAITING!!!!!!

On a side note, I did get some pins the other day in the last package because I wanted to try them out so he could go coverless once in a while. But now that they are here I am too scared to actually try them.
I've only ever used a snappi and my LO is so squirmy and he kicks his little legs I am terrified that I am going to poke him. Those that use them, how do you do it with a squirmy baby?

Advertisement

Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Super pumped!! and side note about pins.

You put your fingers between the baby and the diaper. I've poked myself several times but only poked a baby once or twice. Just think.....everyone used to use cloth diapers with pins. If everyone could do it back when they had to, someone who is motivated to can use pins now. You can do it!!

You could practice pinning a diaper on a doll or stuffed animal first, so you get the hang of it before trying on a a squirmy baby.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 02-11-2014 at 09:36 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
sondramama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
I run the pin through my hair. Trust me. I put my hand, palm side up, on babys Nelly / side / skin contact. I slip the pin in / sideways.
for some reason, the natural hair oils make the pin slip in super sleek. Sometimes I woulda dip the sharp part in cjs butter if I was using it.
Mama <3 to Chayden {8.23.06} & Amarie {10.02.06} & Colton {10.22.10}. Baby#4 due 7.7.14 <3 Wife&BestFriend to Nik {09.22.12}.
Etsy . FaceBook .
sondramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I will give both a try. I just got so worried the first time I tried to use them because LO was kicking and rolling all over and I panicked and just used a snappi.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Forgot the hair thing. I do that too, but it's been awhile since I've diapered anyone!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
SybilP
Registered Users

Is this your first time trying Twinkle Toes? I've been lurking on their site, but I've never ordered anything. I'd be curious to know how they work out for you. And great tips about pins, mamas. I am thinking about trying them, too.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I know that I watched a video talking to grandmas from flats and plastic pants days and they would put their pins in a bar of soap until they needed them they said it made them slide right through the fabric. I've actually been meaning to do this for a while now
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
uscgwifey11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondramama
I run the pin through my hair. Trust me. I put my hand, palm side up, on babys Nelly / side / skin contact. I slip the pin in / sideways. for some reason, the natural hair oils make the pin slip in super sleek. Sometimes I woulda dip the sharp part in cjs butter if I was using it.
Never heard running the pin through your hair lol but I guess it would work. I used a bar of soap. That works too.

But yes put your fingers between the baby and the diaper. I also have a very squirmy baby but we do just fine with pins.
uscgwifey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Nariah01
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybilP View Post
Is this your first time trying Twinkle Toes? I've been lurking on their site, but I've never ordered anything. I'd be curious to know how they work out for you. And great tips about pins, mamas. I am thinking about trying them, too.
This is my first time with twinkle toes. I was thinking about trying their fitted diapers too but I am not to fond of trying fabrics that I am unfamiliar with(zorb). And since that is in all their diapers I decided to just try the fleece covers. I haven't gotten them yet but I will let you know what I think.

I wasn't to sure about the pull on fleece soakers, and I had a hard time finding like a wrap style. I find hyenacart and such a bit overwhelming.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, if your fingers are between the baby and the diaper, you'll never poke the baby. I've definitely poked myself a couple times, but never even come close to poking the baby. Definitely drawn far more blood with a Snappi over the years. I've tried the hair trick and the soap trick, and found that if you have good pins, neither are really necessary. If you have dull pins, neither will overcome the problem. My all-time favorite pins were the plastic head Gerber pins, but I haven't been able to find them in a couple years. The metal locking head Dritz are my second favorite.