Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle
Buy secondhand clothes at consignment shops. Babies outgrow them too fast to get excessive wear. Then you can stock up on designer and name brand clothes cheaper than you could buy cheap stuff at Walmart. Pay attention to seasons. Also, people will probably give you hand-me-downs once your baby arrives, so don't go wild stocking up on too many sizes. Get a sling or some kind of carrier. Babies want to be held ALL the time. They might sit in a swing or bouncy seat for a little bit, but mostly they just want a warm human being. Cloth diapers, of course. I like prefolds and covers, but I'm in the minority. (I loathe pocket diapers.) The rest is just extras. After all these kids, I've managed to accrue the lot: swing, bouncy seat, changing table, pack n play, crib, bassinet, tub, strollers, high chair, car seats, baby monitor, bedding, books, toys, etc, etc. It's all nice to have, but I've gotten by on much less. We were pretty poor when we had the first 2 kids.
I loath pockets as well! Loved prefolds for my newbie. Now we use ai2.

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: FTM: Making a list for baby

Newborns need very little. My list of necessities would be....

-NB clothes. Personally I like lots of little Pj's for newborns. We got a lot of clothes as gifts but everyone thought we would get a ton of NB clothes and would need larger sizes so we ended up having to purchase NB clothes. Unfortunately it's very hard to buy multiple larger sizes since my kids would always be in the wrong size during the wrong season. I also have the bad habit of buying larger sizes, putting them in the back of the closet for when they would be ready to use and then forgetting to check in the back of the closet for clothes when my kid was in that size. I can't even begin to tell you how many outfits I gave away with tags on because of that. Buy a gift card so you have money to spend later on. It makes things much simpler (as long as you remember where you put the GC )

-infant seat- IME the infant seats offer infants a much better fit. I do babywear a LOT but there are just sometimes when you have to take baby out of the car and put them down, like Dr appt's and eating out.

Just want to say.....

Quote:
But I loved this for a baby sleeping in the car ride - when you get to where you need to be and need to get baby out of the car, it's soooooo nice to be able to keep baby I'm the carrier rather than having to unbuckle baby out of the car seat and risk waking baby up.
Please DON'T do this. When you properly install an infant seat you have to balance the seat correctly so that baby isn't sitting too upright. Most infant seats will tip forward when you place them on the ground. This puts baby too far upright and their little heads tip forward and can cut off their air flow. A coworker of DH's baby died when this happened. They dropped their baby off at the sitter's house. Baby was napping and the sitter let her stay napping while she made some food. Baby was within 4' of the sitter the whole time and the sitter never noticed her stop breathing. Infants should not sleep in carseats when they are not in the car.

-Diapers-I like pockets but for the NB stage prefolds are easier IMO as they change size so much from day to day.

-A baby carrier-I don't like having a ton of carriers to choose from. I have a woven wrap that I LOVE for back carries or for when baby gets too heavy for a one shoulder carry and a ring sling, which is good for quick in and out trips while shopping when baby is tiny.

-Aiden and Anais swaddling blankets. They are expensive but COMPLETELY worth it. IMHO don't get the smaller Target ones, go for the boutique ones.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Do you anticipate getting gifts from family and friends? Do you plan to have a baby shower? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, I'd wait until after receiving most of the gifts to buy things yourself. I bought very little for my first, because we got lots of clothes as gifts. We did buy a stroller (didn't end up using), a pack 'n' play (didn't end up using), a sling (used lots), a couple outfits (could have done without them), and a pump (didn't use much, but was good to have).

If you want to pick everything out yourself, you could start a registry. If people don't buy the things from your registry, you've already done the research on the specific things you want, so you can just buy things as you need them.
^^^^This. Put together a list and see what you can get handed down or borrowed from family/friends. What you can't get, put on the shower registry. What you don't end up getting as gifts you can then buy (secondhand!).

And for big ticket items that you have to end up buying, see if you can test drive them by borrowing a friend's/family member's for a bit with the baby, even if they can't lend it to you for very long -- e.g., I've had a friend try out my Boba 3G baby carrier with her infant (she liked it, the baby liked it, and she ended up buying the new 4G version, which fit better on her shoulders).

Seriously, save money where you can because you won't know what you *really* need to spend money on until the baby gets here. We were very practical with our registry for our first kid (and picked lots of gender neutral colors because we knew we would be having a second).

Re the pump, you may be able to get one through your health insurance. I think, depending on your insurance, they might only cover certain brands/models.
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
thelilprincess
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post

-infant seat- IME the infant seats offer infants a much better fit. I do babywear a LOT but there are just sometimes when you have to take baby out of the car and put them down, like Dr appt's and eating out.

Just want to say.....

Please DON'T do this. When you properly install an infant seat you have to balance the seat correctly so that baby isn't sitting too upright. Most infant seats will tip forward when you place them on the ground. This puts baby too far upright and their little heads tip forward and can cut off their air flow. A coworker of DH's baby died when this happened. They dropped their baby off at the sitter's house. Baby was napping and the sitter let her stay napping while she made some food. Baby was within 4' of the sitter the whole time and the sitter never noticed her stop breathing. Infants should not sleep in carseats when they are not in the car.
n and out trips while shopping when baby is tiny.
Sorry I wasn't clear on this. I completely agree, never ever leave baby sleeping for long in the car seat (or swing or bouncer). I forgot that some FTM don't realize that this is really bad position for babies to be in - I even had to tell my sister with her baby a few weeks ago and told her to start using the swaddling blankets and baby wear him. What I meant is that it's so much easier to get baby out of the car while sleeping in the car seat to transfer to stroller (I had the ones with adapters that took the infant car seat) or to bring into the house/restaurant etc.

And I completely agree about the boutique Aden and Anais blankets which are 47x47 inches. The target and buy buy babies one from the Aden for Aden and Anais line are 44x44 inches.
thelilprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A point about breastpumps: When you contact your insurance company, be sure to specify whether they cover double electric or just single electric pumps and whether they restrict to certain brands or have a price cap that you can't exceed (may only cover up to $175 for example). Then when you go to the DME supplier, make sure the pump they give you matches that.

When I went to get mine, the DME provider was going to automatically give me a single electric because that's only what other insurances would cover. I asked about double electrics, which they had to sell for out of pocket, and I said I was pretty sure my insurance said they would cover that. She offered to call my insurance if I wanted to wait, and she found out I was right. I am so glad I asked! And she actually thanked me because they knew for next time...and could bill for a $300 pump instead of a $120 one.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of good suggestions here.

The way I thought of it was to cover the first six weeks as far as clothing goes. You probably will not want to go shopping for clothes in the middle of the night with a tiny baby (maybe you don't mind). I wouldn't buy clothes past 6 months. But you do want to have a few items on hand in a premie size and the rest in newborn and 0-3 months.

Also, don't remove too many tags from clothes and items until the baby arrives. You can return many unused items if you wait until the last 2 months to make your purchases. You really won't know what you need until the baby comes. There will be items that seem useless to one person but you will find priceless. Do take your time doing research, think about your personal needs, and then understand all of this will be undone when your precious baby comes to the world. Enjoy!
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #17
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

What she said.

I had GD, so anticipated a big baby. At 34 weeks 5 days, I had an ultrasound to make sure she wasn't ginormous. She was tiny. Less than a week later she was born at 5 lbs and 17.25 inches. I had one preemie onesie and two newborn dresses...
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
shay3419
Registered Users

I wouldn't go crazy with newborn clothes. You never know how big the baby will be and what size they'll be in really.

I have heard of people who's babies never wear them. We needed some once our baby was born and we just went to once upon a child to get some. There is no use spending a ton on things they barely wear.

Also, things that you won't need until later- high chairs and such - I think it's best to wait until you see a need and how you are practically going to use it rather than picking one out/buying early. We got a nice high chair and in reality, it is too big and we like having the $10.00 ikea one we can just pull up to the kitchen table with us.

They recommend so much stuff you really don't need.
shay3419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
shay3419
Registered Users

Also, I would only buy one of a bottle. See if your baby will take it before buying more. Despite picking out one you think is best, your baby might not take it and you'll have to buy more brands in trial and error.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
shay3419
Registered Users

Also, buy anything you can used! Consignment. Craigslist. Area consignment sales. You get items that are barely used for a lot less.