Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmccullen07
I will not use Dawn in a machine either but to each their own.
I think this greatly depends on your machine. I have a pretty generic, no bells and whistles top loader & haven't had any issues. I don't recommend it as a detergent to anyone, simply because it isn't, & just because it works for me and my routine & washer definitely does not mean that it will work for someone else.

ETA: Cotton Babies even okays Dawn on their diapers. Obviously not with every wash, but as you said, that's my choice

http://www.bumgenius.com/help.php
Last paragraph addresses that.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hum Bums; 02-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

Re: Whoaaa!

Yes I agree I have a HE top loader and I remember way back in the day seeing pics of the suds coming out of someones machine and I just have that image burnt into my head (plus I think it screws with the warranty and our machine is fairly new).

I am in now way saying you shouldn't do anything but most of it is just a trend that comes and goes with something else replacing it (however Dawn has been around for a while and I have used it to get diaper rash cream out of a diaper but that was by hand in my sink)

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Yes I agree I have a HE top loader and I remember way back in the day seeing pics of the suds coming out of someones machine and I just have that image burnt into my head (plus I think it screws with the warranty and our machine is fairly new). I am in now way saying you shouldn't do anything but most of it is just a trend that comes and goes with something else replacing it (however Dawn has been around for a while and I have used it to get diaper rash cream out of a diaper but that was by hand in my sink)
I definitely wouldn't use it in an HE machine period.

I started using it a bit ago. After the "use Dawn" suggestion died down a bit. Before that we were using All F/C.
I even tried using some mainstream detergent the other day for poops and giggles and all my diapers came out dingy and rough. They come out clean and soft with the Dawn. It works for us.
I don't take offense to people saying they wouldn't use it. Just pointing out that the machine plays a part.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
March
Registered Users
seller

The whole "Cascade soak" thing makes no sense to me.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I have been around a while and for a while everyone stripped diapers in the dishwasher , now everyone uses cascade .. I will stick with hot water and tide and I have no issues!! I will not use Dawn in a machine either but to each their own.
Yeah this was about cascade causing chemical burns on babies and delaminating diapers. I didn't even know this was a thing never mind a mainstream thing.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd heard people started using Cascade to strip diapers.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just heard of this yesterday. Cascade?!?!?! For diapers??? I'm blown away. I feel like there is so much BAD advice about diaper laundry and so many people are quick to suggest stripping for everything.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen
I just heard of this yesterday. Cascade?!?!?! For diapers??? I'm blown away. I feel like there is so much BAD advice about diaper laundry and so many people are quick to suggest stripping for everything.
Right? This group was on the opposite end of the spectrum--instead of "Baby your diapers," it was, "There's no such thing as a lingering buildup of anything, ever, in laundry. Soak your diapers in Cascade to draw out all the bacteria and minerals inside." And there'd be pictures of, like, Goodmamas soaking in bathtubs full of Cascade and the water would be pink because all the dye was coming out of the fabrics, and the admins would be all, "Look at all the bacteria!!! You suck at cleaning diapers!! Manufacturers suck at making diapers; they should not be designed in a way that they can get this dirty!!"

Whatever happened to increasing detergent to get your heavily soiled laundry cleaner?
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never heard of using dishwasher detergent. No way would I.

i will just stick with my normal amount of regular detergent that always gets my diapers clean.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

Sounds pretty extreme to me. Btw, I think that the problem with Dawn in an he machine is because it coats the sensors and ruins the machine (not the diapers).