Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you used a pack n play as a crib...

Is there an additional mattress pad that is safe to use with it? My DS slept in one and as I remember the "mattress" that comes with it is very thin and hard. I used a quilted sheet with it but that didn't help all that much (that being said, he slept fine on it). I'd like to use one with my next baby for space saving and convenience but unsure if I should for this reason.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you used a pack n play as a crib...

My youngest is 15m and still sleeps in a p&p. He's never complained, and I'd be afraid if you added padding it would be unsafe? Thinking about SIDS risks and having extra padding/pillows etc in with baby.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
seller

There are pack n play mattresses on Amazon. Just search for them.

Btw my phone auto corrected "search" to "death". I was like ummm no.

ETA: we used a pac n play for both girls until they moved to big girl beds at 18-24m and they were fine on the normal support board in there. #3 will be in a pac n play also.
I had Eddie Bauer sheets that were French terry or something and super squishy. They were pac n play sheets so I didn't think it was unsafe.

Last edited by Hum Bums; 02-15-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums
There are pack n play mattresses on Amazon. Just search for them. Btw my phone auto corrected "search" to "death". I was like ummm no.

It seems like none of the mattresses are actually made by Graco which makes me wonder if they're ok... Sort of like aftermarket items for car seats, you know? I may just find some cushy sheets again. I just could never figure out why they couldn't make the mattress a little softer. I like a firm mattress myself but not THAT firm. I guess babies don't mind.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

We used one for my youngest. She took naps in the pack n play and slept in bed at night with me. I didn't even own a crib. She didn't even notice I don't think. She was 19 months when she went to a bed.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean
It seems like none of the mattresses are actually made by Graco which makes me wonder if they're ok... Sort of like aftermarket items for car seats, you know? I may just find some cushy sheets again. I just could never figure out why they couldn't make the mattress a little softer. I like a firm mattress myself but not THAT firm. I guess babies don't mind.
This one is at least made to Graco measurements. The reviews may ease your mind.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...2480857&sr=8-1
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Wytni_7
Registered Users

You should try "mamadoo" pack n play mattress pad. It's specifically made for the play pen. It's a bit pricey though, like $70 but it's soooo worth it. I had to put my DS in daycare last month and he needed something to sleep in, and I refuses to have him sleep in the play pen with that hard cardboard that it came with, a fitted sheet and a quilted sheet over it. If you get the mamadoo pad buy the sheets and a waterproof sheet. It's so soft, and my DS sleeps better and longer with it. The best thing about this pad is that it doesn't have to be used in the play pen and it's portable. U can also find it on amazon, but if you find their website they have specials.

Trust me, I've researched all over for a play pen mattress pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wytni_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

I just ordered a mattress for my pack and play and just today we set it up to see how it fits. I love it! Wish I had known about them about 3 kids ago. I even tried it out in the bassinet and think it will work fine. Newborns obviously can't sit up so I feel good about the amount of space at the top of the crib. Our babies usually end up in our bed or the port a crib for the first 6 mos. to year so I'm glad this will make it more comfortable. I have a kolcraft pack and play by the way. And I ordered mine off Amazon and I think it was $20.

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My grandpa made us a cradle and it was impossible to find a mattress that was the correct size for it. We got thick (and firm) foam from Jo Ann's and cut it to the exact size. Then I threw a waterproof pad over it and the sheet and it is perfect! It is just a firm as the crib mattress we have. I imagine that you could get that and cut it to the size of the pack and play mattress and put it on top of the hard one. I don't see how it could make it unsafe as long as the foam is firm and you don't add tons of blankets and pillows.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try a mini crib instead---small like a PNP, but has more substantial mattresses.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote