Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #11
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going back to work - I don't want to. Working moms please give me advice!

On top of it all... My job has crappy hours and is inflexible with the schedule.

Advertisement

mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 kids and WOH full time. It sucks at first. I am not going to lie or sugar coat it. But then you get into a routine and it does get easier. Maybe look at it as 3 full days that you get to spend with her instead of the ones you dont'. You will get some time each morning.

You will learn what things are truely important. I do not do much more than basic house work during the week. --running the dishwasher and maybe washing laundry. It sits in the basket till weekend. some nights I even leave the dishes. that is okay. We eat simple meals also.

My DH works 9am -9pm Tue-Sat so it is just me in the evenings.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you move? Closer to your husbands job where it is cheaper and he isn't commuting 3 hours a day? If you really want to stay home check the thrifty forum on here for some tips to budget and cut
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi mama! I just wanted to send out hugs from someone who lives where you live. I am able to stay home but my husband makes a good salary and we can only afford our tiny tiny house. This area is terrible for so many reasons, but mainly because the cost of living is so incredibly high.

Which kindercare? I know a lot of people who are very happy there.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
Hi mama! I just wanted to send out hugs from someone who lives where you live. I am able to stay home but my husband makes a good salary and we can only afford our tiny tiny house. This area is terrible for so many reasons, but mainly because the cost of living is so incredibly high.

Which kindercare? I know a lot of people who are very happy there.
Hi there! It's the Lake Newport Kindercare in Reston. The director is really nice and her own infant son is enrolled there. Seems like a good place. Do you know anyone who attends that location??

NOVA is awful… I grew up in the actual boonies of Loudoun 20 years ago… everything is almost unrecognizable now! Traffic, McMansions and the snootiness! We lived in Richmond for ten years and loved it except we couldn't find good work.

Can't move to the same area as my husband's work… It's literally the ghetto and all the areas around it are super pricey. Between a rock and hard place up here.

I so excited to get a great salary… it looked great on paper but moving to NOVA where the cost of living is crazy… it didn't turn out to be so great. Argh!
mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are in NOVA too, so I feel your pain! Do you live in Reston or is that closer to your job? I used to work there, right off FFX co Pkwy & the toll road but we live out in western PWC near Faquier county. Hang in there! It really does get easier.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #17
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

Hugs, mama. It is very hard at first (the first three weeks especially) but it will get easier. Your kid will adapt very quickly and you will still have that strong bond. You, however, will bear the brunt of the change (e.g., tears in the car at the first day of day care, staring at photos of LO on your phone, etc.). But you will be fine. (I am typing this while getting my hair ready to leave for work.)

Can your mom bring your baby to your work in the middle of the day before/after the first day's nap? I'd check with my manager to see if they would mind. You could do this during your lunchtime. That way you could look at it as being away from your baby only for half a day at a time. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding/pumping after you go back to work, this would allow you to breastfeed once during the day, which would make reaching your pumping quota for the day easier and keep up your supply.
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

I feel like I could have made this post. I just went back to work 2 weeks ago. It's so hard. I wouldn't say it's getting easier but I would say I'm getting used to it. I still think of my maternity leave and cry because I miss that special time.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

It is rough. Especially the first few weeks.

I never in a million years would have thought if want to stay home. A week after dd1 was born I remember trying not to cry as I was talking to my mom about not wanting to go back to work. She told me well even if you can't stay home now make it a future goal to stay home after future children are born.

After number two we had just bought a new house but after the third I was finally able to quit and I'm so glad I did. I always kept what my mom told me in the back off head. Do you think it's something you can potentially do in the future?

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covergirl
Hugs, mama. It is very hard at first (the first three weeks especially) but it will get easier. Your kid will adapt very quickly and you will still have that strong bond. You, however, will bear the brunt of the change (e.g., tears in the car at the first day of day care, staring at photos of LO on your phone, etc.). But you will be fine. (I am typing this while getting my hair ready to leave for work.) Can your mom bring your baby to your work in the middle of the day before/after the first day's nap? I'd check with my manager to see if they would mind. You could do this during your lunchtime. That way you could look at it as being away from your baby only for half a day at a time. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding/pumping after you go back to work, this would allow you to breastfeed once during the day, which would make reaching your pumping quota for the day easier and keep up your supply.
I agree with seeing if your mom will be willing to bring the baby to you. Dh has done this for me for 2 years now. It makes it SO much easier to think "I just have to get through lunch" then "I just have to get through the end of the day" vs "alllll day".