Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tween allowance and constantly losing wallet

Rather than cash, how about using a note book like a bankbook and just add his allowance to the total each week. He can 'withdraw' cash from you when he needs it.

Or just get him a real bank account and have him deposit his allowance each week.

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
ericadawn123
Registered Users
seller

I would stop giving him an allowance. He obviously doesn't care about the money as he has no plans for it and always misplaces it. Wait until he gets older and has more of a social life where he'll want/need money. Like for going to the movies with friends and such. Good luck!
ericadawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. I'm sure it's with my salt shaker and all of the socks that get lost in the laundry.

We sat him down and talked with him about it last night. He does have a tendency to lose things, but if it's important to him (his kindle fire, the charger for it, the USB cube, the remote to his helicopter) he can keep up with it even between households with no problem. We pointed this out to him when he tried to tell us his wallet was just too small for him to keep up with.

We went over the reasons for him even having an allowance and expressed our concerns. It turns out he did have some of it squirreled away that he knew of. We acknowledged that he has no real need for money as we feed and clothe him, and we joked about charging him for meals at home to help him appreciate his money.

Anyway, he now has a place in his room to keep his money and a ledger for him to document his saving and spending habits. He is welcome to spend it as he sees fit as long as he can account for it.-for his own benefit, but we will check up on him.

As far as him spending it "secretly," he'd have to have access to something to spend it on when he's not with an adult and that just doesn't happen. He has actually missed out on opportunities at school because he forgot to bring funds.

I don't think anyone at his dad's is purposely taking money. I'm sure it's more of a matter of them finding cash in random places and assuming someone else put it there. There are two other boys there and they always seem a bit disorganized-which is a lot for me to say as I chase my own FOUR kids around.

We shall see...
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I'd let him earn it but wouldn't give it to him. I'd let him earn the privilege of getting the money when he's consistently shown that he can be responsible for it.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
poppan
Registered Users
seller

How about a large piggy bank type thing? One that cannot be moved or lost easily. I've seen some metal/wood and clear plastic contraptions that were 2-3 ft tall and used as a doorstopper lol.

Then when he needs the money for school, bubblegum etc he can take a little out and spend it. If my kids go to the store and don't have their money, sometimes I tell them too bad and other times I'll give them a loan and they pay me back when we get home. (Depends on whether I want them to have whatever it is
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
poppan
Registered Users
seller

And when he's at dad's house, I look on that as kiddo's responsibility to bring some funds in his wallet or bring nothing. I wouldn't prompt him, would leave it totally up to him.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got a some large jelly jars and put each kids' name on them. ON allowance day they can get their jar and add theirs to it. I make the older 2 keep a ledger/balance sheet that looks sort of like a checkbook. The 6 year olds have to count theirs out each week. When they need the money, they can take it out. This week they had a St. Jude's drive, and I gave them all some$$ for htat, and then they could use their $$ as they saw fit. Each chose the amount they would give.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our 14yo was like this. Still is a bit but less so. Also her dad would give her money and not tell us so then she would be rolling in money. It was all out of whack.

We stopped giving her allowance for a while and just gave her money when she needed it for something.

We did that until she asked to get an allowance again. This year. She wanted to try buying her own clothes etc too so we are trying it. And she has been much better about keeping her money safe.

Since we are forgetful too, we have a statute of limitations. If she doesn't remind me to give her her allowance before it's time for the next one it's forfeit. No "you owe me six weeks worth."