Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Room sharing with baby?

Hi there,

I have had baby in our room since she was born. She is six weeks old now. I have one of those ArmsReach CoSleepers attached to our bed. I love it because I can see and hear her at night. When she wakes up and is cooing at her mobile ... I wake too and can prep to breast feed (use bathroom/drink water/change her diaper) before she starts crying for food. I love side lying nursing with her because we can both doze together before I slide her over to her crib. If she needs more cuddle time before going back to sleep I can scoop her up and prop her up on my pillow for a few minutes before putting her back in her crib.

It's an ideal situation... I feel.

However, everyone I know keeps telling me it will be better for everyone if I can get her in her own room. They warn me to do it before I go back to work in 6 weeks. It's really upsetting because every time I detach the cosleeper crib from our bed to make it free standing... I get all emotional and anxious. It doesn't feel right...

They tell me not to nurse her to sleep or nurse her when she is inconsolable. All that also feels wrong.

Am I nuts? Will she develop sleep problems?

What have your experiences been with room sharing? How long did you do it??

Thx!!

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyegon; 02-18-2014 at 06:29 PM.
mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Room sharing with baby?

Always follow your mommy instinct and don't listen to anyone else. You can even tell them that room sharing is strongly recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics bc it helps to prevent SIDS. DS slept by me in the cosleeper until around 3-4 months old. And I nursed him to sleep for probably a year and a half. Those other people don't know what they're talking about! Just ignore them.

Last edited by myoo; 02-18-2014 at 06:35 PM.
myoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go with your gut! Sounds like you have it under control. I think cosleeping like you are doing is great for baby and you. It's also easier than having to go into another room or walk over to a different bed and pick her up.
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My first co-slept and it was a nightmare to get her to sleep alone, but she literally slept IN my bed. My second slept on my room but in a bassinet and I moved her to her own room when she slept thru the night.
You can unattach the co-sleeper and still have it in your room till baby is sttn.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

You need to stop listening to "them" and "they" do what is working for you. Both my kids started in the cosleeper and we all go great sleep. When I tried moving my oldest nobody got sleep. If having your baby in their own bed is something you want for your family then I know there are lots of other people who can give you advice. But if you aren't comfortable with moving baby into another room there is no reason to change anything. You don't have to tell people how you and your baby sleep if they are going to be judgmental about it.
I don't think there is one right way for every baby to sleep. Some quickly adapt to being in their own space and some have a very hard time.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmom View Post
Go with your gut! Sounds like you have it under control. I think cosleeping like you are doing is great for baby and you. It's also easier than having to go into another room or walk over to a different bed and pick her up.
Exactly. To quote Dr. Williams Sears: The best place for baby to sleep is where everyone in the family sleeps best. If everyone whose opinion counts (and that would be you, baby, and your significant other) is happy and gets their best sleep with this arrangement, then why try to change something that is working well for you all?
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama,

I didn't sleep with my daughter quite the same way, but she was in our room in her bassinet when she wasn't sleeping on my chest

I moved her to her own room and crib at about 2 months (though she did still end up sleeping on me for part of the night for a few months after).

I had a lot of people give me advice and I want to share what was the best advice given "you, her mother, know her best. You know how to be a mom and take care of her. Trust yourself and trust your instincts."

Basically, try to tune it all out. It doesn't matter how anyone else would do it because ultimately, she is your child and you are the one who is raising her. If having her close to you is a comfort to yourself and your child, go with it. I remember when I moved my daughter to her crib, I was nervous, but ready and she was ready. It was a very smooth transition.

You are doing a great job! Your baby is waking up happy, has a full tummy and a clean diaper. She gets comfort by knowing you are right there and you are comforted knowing she is safe and close to you. Congrats on your sweet baby girl!

Happily getting my Groupon on
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Learn to ignore the masses. It's one thing if you're asking for advice, it's another when it's unsolicited.

My first slept in our room in his own crib for 8 months. We had a one bedroom apartment, so there wasn't another option. Many mornings, he'd wake up to nurse while DH was getting ready for work, he'd hand me the baby, I'd nurse him, and DS1 and I would go back to sleep for a couple more hours. When we moved into our house, he transitioned just fine.

My second started out with a bassinet in our room, but he preferred to sleep in bed with me. DH couldn't sleep with the baby in bed, but knew how much I needed the sleep (and so did the baby), so he slept on the sofa. At four months, we transitioned him to his own room. He was a terrible sleeper, but it had nothing to do with where he slept; he had really bad reflux.

Anyway, my point is that you can do whatever works for you. My favorite piece of advice is "there are millions of ways to raise a baby, and only a few ways to screw them up royally."
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyegon View Post
Hi there,

I have had baby in our room since she was born. She is six weeks old now. I have one of those ArmsReach CoSleepers attached to our bed. I love it because I can see and hear her at night. When she wakes up and is cooing at her mobile ... I wake too and can prep to breast feed (use bathroom/drink water/change her diaper) before she starts crying for food. I love side lying nursing with her because we can both doze together before I slide her over to her crib. If she needs more cuddle time before going back to sleep I can scoop her up and prop her up on my pillow for a few minutes before putting her back in her crib.

It's an ideal situation... I feel.

However, everyone I know keeps telling me it will be better for everyone if I can get her in her own room. They warn me to do it before I go back to work in 6 weeks. It's really upsetting because every time I detach the cosleeper crib from our bed to make it free standing... I get all emotional and anxious. It doesn't feel right...

They tell me not to nurse her to sleep or nurse her when she is inconsolable. All that also feels wrong.

Am I nuts? Will she develop sleep problems?

What have your experiences been with room sharing? How long did you do it??

Thx!!
I planned to have baby in our room for a month or so. Ended up being ten or eleven months. People made comments but I knew when the time was right. You will too.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums View Post
My first co-slept and it was a nightmare to get her to sleep alone, but she literally slept IN my bed. My second slept on my room but in a bassinet and I moved her to her own room when she slept thru the night.
You can unattach the co-sleeper and still have it in your room till baby is sttn.
I agree with this it is a nightmare to get them to sleep alone.