Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Room sharing with baby?

Only YOU know what will work for you, your child and your family. Listen to your instincts. You'll know when it's time for her to move away from your bed and it doesn't sound like now is the time.

I did some variation of co-sleeping with all my kids. The 3yo still slips in my bed most nights, but they're all good sleepers and even the 3yo goes to sleep in his bed at his own preference.

Keep in mind, new parents will force their opinions on you and try to make you feel bad about your choices if they differ from theirs as a way of reinforcing their choices in their mind. Ignore, ignore, ignore!

Advertisement

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

You are not nuts & your daughter will not develop sleep problems b/c of co-sleeping

I have two questions:

*Are you co-sleeping at least as much for your daughter as for you?

*Are you getting enough sleep to sustain your work when you return (or at least moving in that direction)?

There is nothing wrong w/ co-sleeping & it won't damage your child, I just feel like people should make choices like that when they work for you & only for the right reasons
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

I loved co-sleeping at the beginning, and by five months I was pulling my hair out. Moving him to his own room was the right decision for us. I knew it was the right time and when it's time for you, you will know too.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I think you will enjoy this night time-time together when you go back to work (and so will your daughter). Some people are just not into room sharing, breastfeeding, baby wearing (I am not saying you have to do all/or nothing) - they are just opinions. My almost 3 year olds bed is in our room, on the floor and we have an arms reach with our almost 6 month old in!

DH and I have alone time in the living room
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My 15 month old is in a crib in our room, has been since birth. We don't co-sleep with them as infants though. But, after about 2 they take turns in our bed.....as in whoever gets there first! LOL!

Right now when dh is gone, 5/6 nights a week, my 11 year old sleeps with me. My 13yo slept with us until she was literally 10! Every night!

I love them sleeping with us.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Each of my kids was different. DD1 went to her own room at 12 weeks. DS stayed here til 18 months (special medical needs). DD2 moved at about 8 months and never EVER wanted to cosleep.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Ola_
Registered Users

Just follow your gut and ignore everyone else.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I agree with everybody else. Go with your gut.

My gut said cosleep but everybody told me it was wrong too and like you I got anxiety about it. Once I ignored everybody else and did what felt right things were great. We've coslept with them all and they are all great sleepers now. My 6 yo sleeps like a rock.

Some people say they don't sleep that well with baby in room but I think I sleep better.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #19
risata
Registered Users
seller

Well I'm with most everyone else and say that if it's working for you then you should continue for as long as it does. Every kid is different! You can't foresee how your baby will be based on other people's children.

DD1 slept in our room till she was 13 months old (we coslept part of that time, too.) Then we moved from a one-bedroom to a two-bedroom where she not only moved into her own room but into a different crib as well. We had no trouble at all.

With DD2 I was prepared to cosleep but she was happier in her crib pulled up next to my bed until she was about 3 months old when I moved her into an adjoining room. We had other sleep issues with her but worked through them.

Both of my kids (they are almost 7 and almost 4 now) have been great sleepers for the most part and still are.

As a first-time mom I was anxious to do everything right. By baby #2 I was more relaxed. #3 was born a couple of weeks ago and I'm trying to enjoy every snuggly minute with him while it lasts. It sounds like that's what you're doing, so good for you!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We tried to move our oldest into his own room when he was 3 months old, I've never slept so poorly in my life as I did in the week before he came back by me. And he was sleeping 10+ hours at that point, it was allll me that needed to have him close.

Do what works for you, when it works for you. When it stops working you can worry about changing it.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote