Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
skilgore
Registered Users
seller

14 months too soon?

So I have had this idea of transitioning DS (14 months) from his crib to a toddler bed (same bed as crib just take one side off and add a half rail). I am pregnant and due in June, and I am worried I won't be able to put him in bed when I get bigger (I am short and the side of his crib is tall especially with the mattress all the way down). DH works most nights until 9pm and isn't home to help with getting DS ready for bed so I have to be able to put him down. He currently sleeps 12 hours at night (7pm-7am) and goes down for bed without a peep (bath, teeth brushing, PJs and straight to the crib). I also will be moving his room to another bedroom a couple months after the baby gets here and I want him comfortable in his bed before then. Any thoughts? Am I totally insane for thinking this might work?

Advertisement

skilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 14 months too soon?

Mine is 14 months and I have thought about this but haven't done it yet because when he wakes up he will be walking all over his room and the crib still contains him for a little while longer. I'm also worried about him falling out but I could easily put soft stuff on the floor or the mattress on the ground to help ease my fear.

But I don't think you are crazy, if I was in your situation I would probably go for it.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Personally I would not. The crib is such helpful tool to keep them safe and in bed...especially for sleep regressions (like when the baby comes). My boys have both loved their cribs well into their twos. DS 1 went into a toddler bed just shy of his 3rd b-day when he could climb out and DS 2 is still loving his crib at 2 years 7 mos. I actually followed the advice of my pediatrician when he said leave them in as long as possible. I'm 8.5 mos pregnant now and the lifting isn't a problem because he's always standing when I have to lift him out.

Do what works for you though and what you're comfortable with. There's no right answer!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Ivy is 14 months (almost 15) and has been in a toddler bed for a month (actually, it's a twin but it's toddler height, with a mesh side-rail). Prior to that, she was on a mattress on the floor from about 10 months. Before that, she was in our bed.

You'll want to make sure heavy furniture like dressers or bookshelves are bolted to the wall, and probably take distracting toys out. Our kids have a playroom so they only have books in their bedroom. I'd expect a bit of a transition period but as long as everything else stays the same, he will catch on.

Oh, and be careful going in when he wakes because they're quick getting out of bed sometimes and you may pop him in the forehead with the door (like I did to mine yesterday OOPS).

Good luck!
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 View Post

Oh, and be careful going in when he wakes because they're quick getting out of bed sometimes and you may pop him in the forehead with the door (like I did to mine yesterday OOPS).

Good luck!
I was with you until this then I busted out laughing!
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have moved a couple of my kids to toddler beds around that age because by then they were climbing out of the crib anyway. I just put a baby gate on their room. No problem.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefarnsworth87 View Post
I was with you until this then I busted out laughing!
I felt bad but she's fine. Actually, she's my wild one, so she's always bopping her head off something while trying to climb/eat/destroy the most dangerous thing in her general vicinity. She's a durable little thing.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My older two both moved to a toddler bed right after a year. We didn't have any problems, really. There were a few nights they fell asleep on the floor instead and we moved them to the bed.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I transferred the first at 18 months and totally regretted it. Kiddo is no longer contained! Going to bed was a nightmare. She wouldn't stay in bed, and wasn't old enough to understand.

Subsequent kids were moved at 2.5.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I was still able to lift ODD into her crib at 15/16m old at 39w pregnant. Had a C-section so 39w was it for me.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote