Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
I transferred the first at 18 months and totally regretted it. Kiddo is no longer contained! Going to bed was a nightmare. She wouldn't stay in bed, and wasn't old enough to understand. Subsequent kids were moved at 2.5.
Also this. We went ahead and move ODD at around 21m to a twin mattress on the floor (after her sister was born) & see NEVER stayed in bed and wouldn't fall asleep until 3-4 hours after I out her down. She would get up and play or if have to lay with her and I'd fall asleep before she did.
She was too young to understand. Ended up putting her in my room on her bed. She never slept in her own room again till about 9-10 months later when we moved & she shared a room with her sister. They now share a Full size matress and I don't even have to put the gate up. So it's worked out, but transitioning ODD too early sucked.

Advertisement

Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 14 months too soon?

My son had to be moved to a bed at that age because he jumped out of the crib. It went way better then expected. He was a toddler that got into everything at that age but he didn't get out of bed at bedtime or during the night. I sat with him at first to put him to sleep but he was putting himself to sleep a little while later. I just took a gradual approach. The room was child proofed. He actually slept better in the bed then the crib. I moved my youngest at 18 months. We just moved and she was finally able to climb in and out of the bed by herself. I know other people who had their kiddos in toddler beds right after 1 and it went fine.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Mine was 15 months. She climbed out. She is 22 months now and shares a double with her big sister. She used the toddler bed portion of the crib for about a month. We left it in there a couple more but she preferred the big bed. No issues with her running. Occasionally she will come out 2-3x but not excessive & always comes to find us laughing. She goes to bed at 7 & wanders into our room between 5 & 6:30.

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 02-19-2014 at 06:57 AM.
moonlightblonde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #14
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were in cribs till they were 2 (#1 went to regular bed when #2 was born). If you had asked me then I would have said no way that is way too soon.

Then I had #3--and everything I though I knew when out the window, she is so different from my first two-- and would not sleep in her crib for more than an hour no matter what, so we were semi co-sleeping and that wasn't working all that well either. So at 14 months I told DH enough was enough and we converted her bed to a full size bed. We pushed one side against the wall and bought an extra long bed rail and put that in the middle. She can't fall out. The first night she slept 7 hours for the first time ever. She has done much much better. Plus it is easier to nurse her to sleep and if she does wake up I can crawl in bed with her and she goes back to sleep.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were in cribs till they were 2 (#1 went to regular bed when #2 was born). If you had asked me then I would have said no way that is way too soon.

Then I had #3--and everything I though I knew when out the window, she is so different from my first two-- and would not sleep in her crib for more than an hour no matter what, so we were semi co-sleeping and that wasn't working all that well either. So at 14 months I told DH enough was enough and we converted her bed to a full size bed. We pushed one side against the wall and bought an extra long bed rail and put that in the middle. She can't fall out. The first night she slept 7 hours for the first time ever. She has done much much better. Plus it is easier to nurse her to sleep and if she does wake up I can crawl in bed with her and she goes back to sleep.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I know a lot of people who move kids to twin beds at that age. They had a couple days/weeks of kiddo getting out of bed over and over, but just put them straigt back into bed--no negotiating, just plop them back in bed and walk out quickly--and eventually the chikd understands that they have to stay in bed whether they are contained or not.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All my boys have been in toddler beds by 15 months. We just have a baby gate at the door so there is no random walking around at night.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Newton
Registered Users

DD transferred at 13 months - did great - was a fantastic move for us - she hated the crib. Slept way better in the toddler bed
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
skilgore
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the positive responses! I am feeling a little less crazy for thinking I can move him so soon. My problem isn't picking him up out of his crib, but laying him down in the crib at night. He won't just lay down himself. I have to physically lay him on his belly, cover him up and walk out of the room and he will sleep all night. I am hoping with the gradual change this won't be too difficult. We will try it out this weekend!
skilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I transferred the first at 18 months and totally regretted it. Kiddo is no longer contained! Going to bed was a nightmare. She wouldn't stay in bed, and wasn't old enough to understand.

Subsequent kids were moved at 2.5.
My youngest was 2 when she moved to a regular bed and she was the worst one to get to bed. Terrible transition.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote