Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
measuring small?

So this is new to me... this is my third baby and my other 2 I always measured just fine. My last appt with my nurse midwife I mentioned I feel really small this time and she sau d I was measuring kind of small but we won't get to worried about it because I was only 24 weeks. I had an ultrasound and they dated me only 2 days off of my est. Due date...
I guess idk what measuring small means? Just a smaller baby this time? Or?...

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: measuring small?

What were you measuring? I wouldn't worry. Babies in utero have their growth spurts just like when they come out. I never measured on track. I was always behind by a couple weeks (my kids came out around due date and were on the higher end of the growth chart) . It has a lot do with how you are carrying your baby in there too.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I know my middle child was small one week then she had a boxing match and grew back that and was a small baby.

my last here so far was big one week and then fine the next...

If just an inch or so no big deal but if lots off then maybe something is off
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
My DD measured small later in pregnancy, around 34 weeks or so. They just monitored her growth to make sure she was on her own curve. She ended up being born at 7lbs 3oz at 39 weeks, so perfectly healthy weight. They attributed the small measurements to her body type (she was long and skinny).
Rachel, DP to Taylor, Mommy to Joshua , Maddox , and someone new in Feb/March 2014!
Handmade Clothing & Accessories The Babby Boutique
Happy to have joined the

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Registered Users

My first 2 babies, I measured small.
My next 2, I measured normal
This one, measured way big early on (doc thinks my uterus is just bigger from so many pregnancies), but now I'm getting closer to normal.

The 4 I've got on the ground were all in the 6lb range when they were born, so the way I measured didn't seem to impact the size of my kids. We'll see if that holds true with this baby.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Registered Users

With DS my fundal height consistently measured 3 weeks behind, he was born 7lbs4oz at 40 +4
With DD my fundal height measured 5 weeks behind, but she was born 8lbs5oz at 40w.
With twins you're supposed to measure 6-8 weeks ahead, so my mom and I've been joking that I'll probably only measure 3-4 weeks ahead since I seem to just measure small for no apparent reason.
L, wife to D since 7/08, mommy to G since 12/09, and A born on her due date 5/12!
with identical twin boys- due Aug 15!!
g-offsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Users

I measured small with my 3rd. She was a pound and a half smaller than my 2nd. I think they want to see growth, not size. If you suddenly stop growing they get anxious, but if baby is measuring a bit behind throughout the pregnancy it isn't a concern.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Registered Users

If she was measuring your fundal height it could be due to the baby's position or how high/low they are in your pelvis. If it's an ultrasound measurement keep in mind that it's just an estimate. They take a few measurements (head circumference, femur length I believe, and something else) and use a chart to estimate based on that. So if you come from average weight background with short legs and small heads they could well have their guess way off!

What was the measurement, did she tell you?
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Registered Users
It sounds like you're talking about fundal height. If that's the case, baby's position can make a big difference. I measured right on the whole time with my first two, but was measuring 4-6 weeks ahead with my third until he flipped head down at around 30 weeks, at which point I measured exactly right again.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:
This last time I measured small (fundal height) for the last like 3 months I think. First I was just measuring a week small, then by the end I was like 4 weeks small. Had an ultrasound at one point because I'd lost weight as well and she measured average. She was born at 40+6 at 7lb8oz

On the other hand my friend was just recently induced because she was measuring small and it turned out she had low amniotic fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mamatoclaire is offline   Reply With Quote