Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Please help....allergic reaction?

DS woke up this morning with a completely swollen upper lip with allergic shiners/slight swelling under his eyes. No tongue/throat issues. We gave him a generous dose of benadryl 2 minutes ago. If it doesn't impove very soon, I will take him to urgent care because my epipen (my prescription, not his) is expired by 3 years and so I don't feel comfortable leaving him home.

The thing is, he had a blood allergy test for all food related allergies just a few months ago due to excema. He didn't even have any sensitivities, let alone allergies. And in any case, he didn't eat anything new.

He has what is possibly a bite on the back of his hand. It's got a little redness around it (VERY slight - barely noticable), but that's it. No itchiness, pain, or numbness anywhere. Can it be a spider bite reaction or something?

Advertisement

Last edited by harmoni247; 02-19-2014 at 06:15 AM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Please help....allergic reaction?

I'm sorry.

I've had a spider bite once at night (got bit on the back) but it was very painful, swelled up within 30 minutes and puffed up with white sore in the middle that had to be cut open.

I'm no expert but could he be allergic to dust mites? I know they can't bite but people can be allergic to them.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Thanks PBAki

His eyes looked better right away, so we kept him home. But his lip didn't improve at all? It's been over an hour, so it should have worked by now. But it's definitely not worsening. The red spot on his hand (that we thought may be a bite) went away as well.

So I think you're right that it doesn't sound like a spider bite, but I can't think of what he could be allergic to...dust mites are only respiratory, I think?

I'm also unsure if I should take him in or not. Since the benadryl worked some but not all the way. And it's not affecting his breathing at all. I get so nervous about allergies.

Last edited by harmoni247; 02-19-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd call the nurses line for your pediatrician and just describe and ask them.

Have you checked over his body for bites? Or just the hand? Some bites take a while to "flare" up and some are immediate. That said, they generally flare at the site first. Is there a cut IN his mouth? I once had some teeny bump on my lip that I chewed in my sleep and woke up with a huge, fat lip. It looked like someone had punched me in the face during the night.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
I get so nervous about allergies.
I think it's normal for us parents right? We've taken our daughters for what seem like minor now but at the time of an incident we didn't want to take any chances. Better to know than be sorry later. Hope he's doing better!
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

He doesn't have any cuts in his mouth. The benadryl did eventually work almost completely, so it definitely must be an allergy of some kind. I can only think it must have been something in school yesterday. Thanks for your ideas and support.

On a side note: I'm so impressed that some people can call their docs office for advice on things like this. Every doctor we've had refuses to give any advice over the phone due to liability. That would make these decisions so much easier!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine asks a series of like 12384738 questions in order to suss out if they can tell something obvious, or whether you need to come in or go to the ER or wait until tomorrow. The office is great, though, sometimes they call back in a couple hours to check on you, and if you go to a local after hours pediatric care the regular pediatrician gets a fax of the records at 8am and then calls you at 9am to make sure the night went okay

Glad to hear the Benadryl worked
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote