Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

When your kids get sick, do you?

Does it depend on the illness? Just wondering what the "norm" seems to be. I've never thought twice about catching something from my kids- they can drool, cough, sneeze, rub snot on me, etc... whenever they get sick. UNLESS it's a stomach bug. Then I go all crazy and try to keep my distance.

I rarely get sick, and in 7 years of parenting have only caught one stomach bug (second one in my life that I have a memory of). ...going to knock on wood now!

Dh get sick much more often than I do, he usually gets at least a cold from whatever they have, or maybe it's just his allergies. IDK. I *maybe* get one cold a year. Maybe I just have a good immune system!

Advertisement

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When your kids get sick, do you?

That is the reason children are sick more often than adults- they are building their immune system. Immune systems can also be compromised by stress as well as other factors and not function as well.

My 5 children attend 4 different schools, I'm in nursing school, and my husband works at 2 hospitals so our germ pools are large and diverse! I seem to get a cold or some mild respiratory illness that lasts on and off through most of the winter. I also am always taking care of any sick children so anything I'm not able to fight off I get.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not usually but Tharen does tend to get pink eye and share it. Actually he is more prone to getting things that he shares than Kearnan. Kearnan is sick more often but I never catch what he has (except the time he had Roto, that was gross because I was sick longer than he was). Poor Kearnan was sick most of this summer and I never caught any of it, of course West Nile isn't contagious that way. Tharen will catch something, be sick for a few hours (really, like maybe 12 hours tops) and then next thing I know I'm sick. Usually it is a stomach bug too. Luckily it doesn't happen often, he is never really sick other than pink eye. I don't know what is up with that but he seems really prone to it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very very rarely..... like i can think of just once since having children that we ALL got the same thing from each other (the worst stomach bug i have EVER had!!) *knock on wood*

The kids used to pass stuff around to each other and to DH fairly frequently but i think i have mastered my cleaning/disinfecting to a point where now an illness just affects one person, maybe two at most before being snuffed out.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462 View Post
Very very rarely..... like i can think of just once since having children that we ALL got the same thing from each other (the worst stomach bug i have EVER had!!) *knock on wood*

The kids used to pass stuff around to each other and to DH fairly frequently but i think i have mastered my cleaning/disinfecting to a point where now an illness just affects one person, maybe two at most before being snuffed out.
It is all dependent upon the pathogen's mode of transference- you can't disinfect a bug that has droplet transference. You must all have high functioning immune systems.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
It is all dependent upon the pathogen's mode of transference- you can't disinfect a bug that has droplet transference. You must all have high functioning immune systems.
Thank you. I was feeling dirty. As toddlers my kids sleep on me when sick. It is really hard not to catch what they have.

Now as older kids I don't get what they have as often. Only occasionally.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope. Dh usually does though.

I think he brings half of the germs from his work.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Never from dd1 but all the time from dd2. It's kind of odd. dd2 is a less cuddly kids than dd1 was too.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
We've basically had a cycle of colds go through our house since November. As soon as we start to feel better a new one comes into the house. It's been awful. Before kids I hardly ever got sick, but now that the kids are in daycare, I take transit, DH works with the public, etc. germs just keep getting picked up.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Nope. Dh usually does though.

I think he brings half of the germs from his work.
This. Since the girls and I stay home most of the time, we rarely get sick. Dh gets sick, then the girls, then I may get it. Usually I don't (ironically I can't breathe through my nose as I type this from a cold or something I have caught from the baby!)

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote