Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Six year age gap

What can you tell me about having kids six years apart. Especially if you only have none in the middle. This is becoming the most likely reality and its one that makes me a little sad. I didn't really want them to be so far apart but if we can have another healthy child it will take that long before it can happen.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
MadAgain
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll let you know in a few weeks! Lol

My current youngest will be 7 in May, so over 6 years difference between her and little one on the way. I can tell you pregnancy with that large of a gap is like never having been pregnant before, and I had a fairly large gap between my first 2, 3 years and 9+ months.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum (and autocorrect hates me)
MadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Six year age gap

We have had both tightly spaced and a larger gap. I always used to think that I wanted them all close together but you know there is something amazingly precious about seeing older children with their baby sibling. Your family has been through so very much I have been following your post for ages and if it isn't too forward to say so I truly believe you would be making the best possible decision for your son by letting Spiderman go. I can't imagine your heartbreak after Abby and now this. You have such a loving spirit and I hope that you are able to complete your family in a peaceful way that is healthy both emotionally and physically for everyone.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My husband is the middle child but his older brother is 6 years older and his younger brother is 6 years younger. He feels close to both of them (more the younger, but the older one had a brain injury 15 years ago). He thinks our two 2 years apart is too close I am just used to me, my sister and my brother all in under 3 years!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My boys are not 6 years apart, they are 4.5. I am very happy with the age gap and would have been just as happy with a larger age gap. Of course in my situation it was easier for Kearnan to understand what was going on and cope with it at 4 than it would have been before. He was also at his best at right around 4, coping pretty well and doing well in therapy. I feel like he was a very good big brother but he will never be the big brother that many children are, it just isn't him. My SIL had her children 7 years apart and has been very happy with the age gap. My oldest niece is a great helper with her little sister and she has really felt like she was able to devote special time to both of her girls. She only has the two kids so she was able to spread out the baby stage and enjoy having a baby while her older child was doing her own thing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My girls are 5yrs apart. It's perfect for me. Really the *only* think that I find a bit awkward is right now when they are 4.5 and 9.5. My older daughter can easily to much more 'grown up' things so it can be difficult to find things we can all do. This will pass quickly. They get along great most of the time and when dd2 was a newborn I had a child who could easily see I was busy and was old enough to entertain herself or at least have friend over to play etc..
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

My 2 are 6 years apart. It was and is a great gap I feel. The older had her alone time with me and I stayed home with her and now the little one gets the same they each get their one on one attention and I'm not so tired from having 2 babies. They are now almost 9 and almost 3. The little plays great with her big sister and she adores her. The big sister teaches her all sorts of stuff. Big sis and I get our one on one time too because the baby sleeps or does her thing by herself some. Big sis never has been jealous when the new baby got more attention. She was old enough to understand and join in when baby was born.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

Oh plus big sis was old enough to remember when I was pregnant and baby was little so it will make some fun stories when baby gets older.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I like having a bit of space between mine:

1st and 2nd: 20 months
2nd and 3rd: 3.75 years
3rd and 4th: 5 years
4th and 5th: 3.5 years

The first 2 were a little too close. It was really chaotic and still is, sometimes! They're both pretty bullheaded and definitely rub each other the wrong way.

They were SO excited when we were having the 3rd. They acted like another set of parents to her. They wanted her to watch them play while she was sitting in her bouncer or exosaucer. She was young enough that developmentally she wasn't in competition with them and didn't try to take their toys. I REALLY got to spend a lot of precious one-on-one time with her when the others went to school.

Same with the 4th. I'm getting a lot of quality time with him while the others are in school. The older kids have been really helpful with him from the start. My oldest especially adores him; she calls him her little buddy and loves to play with him. They're 10.5 years apart. The 2nd oldest can't wait to teach him soccer and loves bouncing on the trampoline with him. They're 9 years apart.

Whatever spacing they are, you'll be amazed at how well it works!

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My last 2 are 6yrs apart. I have more that are older and much closer together, 23 mos & 21 mos, and it has been a good spread for us. I think having that big of a spread and a girl would be better, more of a helper "little mommy" kind of thing. My DS is just active and while he loves his brother, he's just not that into him.