Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to tell a 2 year old that this is goodbye?

My son is 2.5, and he is probably a pretty typical kid. Nothing remarkable about him other than his motor skills, which are clinically at a 36 month level. He has been seeing a speech language pathologist for a year and now has age appropriate language skills. Sometimes his sentences contain 4 words. We are thrilled. Next week will be the last time the SLP comes to visit. We may see her and her children at parks & rec because we both live in the same large town, but we don't live near each other at all - she's in the village and we are on the outskirts, in a different school district even. It's possible that we may not see her again.

So I'm thinking that I owe it to my son to at least try to convey that this is goodbye. But it's possible that I shouldn't bother because he may not be able to conceive of it. Can someone who has btdt with a 2 year old give an opinion? Thank you.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to tell a 2 year old that this is goodbye?

You can have him make a nice goodby picture and possibly a little gift. They might understand that it is a "goodbye" but not really know what that exactly entails.

We said goodbye to our beloved story time woman. She was a favorite. They still ask about seeing Emma if we go right into the bookstore but they don't get sad or anything. They just wonder for a second where she could be and then move on.

It's harder for the parents I think.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My son saw a chiropractor several times weekly. He was 2 years old. He loved seeing her. When we moved, it didn't occur to me to attempt an explanation. I seriously doubt he would have comprehended what I was saying had I tried to explain. Now had it been my daughter at the same age I think she would have understood at least a bit. Her comprehension was much better than his though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Now had it been my daughter at the same age I think she would have understood at least a bit. Her comprehension was much better than his though.
ITA. My daughter was light years ahead of where my son is, but I think she wasn't typical.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was dismissed from EI speech at 2.5 with age appropriate speech. I told him that he no longer was going to see his therapist since he graduated therapy but I didn't make a huge deal about it. He liked his therapist but I was sadder about it then him. Lots of teachers and therapists have come in and out of their lives. He is back in speech now through the school district strictly for articulation and they change every year.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

No help at all but congrats on the graduation!!!! Go William!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I don't think he'll get it or care at that age. When mine aged out of Early Intervention, I explained that he wasn't going to see his EI speech therapist anymore since he was soon to start school. It was absolutely nothing to him, but he also wasn't asking about her all the time even when he was in therapy, so maybe if yours is very attached it will be different. I'd probably have him help make a card and give some flowers so when he does ask about her you can have him remember the goodbye gift her gave her and talk about how she is now helping other girls and boys.
BSWmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks Andrea and everyone. Wm doesn't talk about her much outside of the sessions but when I tell him she's coming his eyes light up. I think giving art work and a little something is a good idea. I just hope he doesn't want to keep whatever it is. Maybe we'll give her some nail polish.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

A little card or gift is nice. We had a very similar situation (bub Graduated from speech therapy after over a year with the same therapist when he was 2.5). He explained that he had done such a good job that he didn't need the extra help anymore. I'm not sure how much he understood at first because he would still ask, "Go see Ashwee?" When we drove down the street that we used to turn off of he would sign, "play." He was fine with it though (but he was excited to run into her at a different therapy office when he went to do his OT eval).
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I had my DD make a thank you card, and reminded her multiple times before the last appointment it was goodbye.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote