Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Looking for Ideas....

My DS 19 months got really sick last week w/ basically some sort of hand foot mouth, and a respiratory virus at the same time. He got these huge open sores in his mouth and basically refused to eat or drink anything for several days. We ended up having to have an IV put in, and we had to take him to the hospital every day to get fluids.

Yesterday, he started eating again... he ate some macaroni and cheese, and a few popsicles, but he was still refusing to drink mostly (he took about 5 oz of milk and maybe 2-3 oz. of water/juice). Because of how well he did yesterday, they decided to take his IV out. Today, he continued to eat well- eating mac n cheese again, ice cream, granola bar, cheese stick, popsicles (all things he loves- he still refused everything that were not his absolute favorites). But he drank even less- I have tried giving him a bottle, a Sippy, a Sippy w/o the leak valve, out of a regular cup- everything I can think of. We have also offered milk, water, juice, pedialyte (anything that I thought he would like).

My husband thinks I should stop giving him popsicles b/c he is eating these and then not thirsty, but I don't want to cut off the only "liquids". he's really getting right now. I froze the pedialyte in a ice cube tray tonight and I am going to try these tomorrow- but I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas on other brilliant ideas on how to make him drink again???

He is the type of kid that refuses everything until you force it, and then he does just fine. i.e. he wouldn't even eat the ice cream, until I forced a bite in, and then he ate it just fine.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.... I'm desperate at this point...

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If he likes popsicles maybe put his drink in the freezer for a bit to make it really cold and try that?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried a straw?
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Looking for Ideas....

When our LO got the flu, the treat that convinced them to drink more was ice cubes in the water. It's ruined them for room temp water in most situations since, but it was worth it.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Have you tried a straw?
Tried it- and he put it in his mouth but then wouldn't suck... might keep trying that though bc he seems to think they more fun than regular cups.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

yup ice ruined our child, lol. He now requests everything be "icy." Icy chocolate milk, icy juice, icy water... we literally run out of ice at the end of the day and have to show him the empty tray before he'll accept non-iced liquids.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post

Tried it- and he put it in his mouth but then wouldn't suck... might keep trying that though bc he seems to think they more fun than regular cups.
What about one of those straw cups with the silicone staw. Its soft and flexible. Oxo makes one that would work well, it has a round top so no edges. My dd drank out of that at 9 months but only took a bottle twice.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just gave him some pop
The doctor was talking today that they might have to put the IV back in- if he doesn't drink- and I have tried everything straws, cups, bottles, juice, milk, chocolate milk, water, etc.... and we were eating dinner and I had a little bit of 7 up (b/c I now also have what he had), and he started whining and wanting what I had, so I let him drink a little out of my cup- and then he wanted more- and I was desperate to get him to drink anything so I poured some into a cup of juice I had already started for him- and he drank it....

I' m an awful mom.... My baby is drinking pop.... I can break him of this later, when he is better right????
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Get some lime flavored pedialite (if they have it)
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hugs mamma, I've been following. First off, Popsicles count as fluids, give him all the pops he wants.

How about slushys from the gas station? That's a treat when my kids are really sick. Jello also counts as a fluid. I'd be pushing more fluid type things than food at this point. They also make this slushy cup w special ice cubes called slushy magic, my kids like that when they're sick.

After my sons tonsillectomy we had him drink out of his "mini" cup. Just a small medicine cup, we were able to measure, he felt accomplished when he drank it all and it was a new novelty. Every 10 minutes or so we would encourage a drink of his mini drink.

When my kids are sick they get to drink what ever they want (no dairy though). So for me if it's IV fluids or some sprite, they're getting the sprite. You need to hydrate him like a boss rt now.