View Poll Results: Which do you think is the best path?
Keep with public school 12 36.36%
Pull him and start home schooling 16 48.48%
other 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

ds failing school what is the next turn?

Sorry this might be long.

Went to my ods parent teacher conference last night, he is in 6th grade middle school so it took us an hour to talk to all of his teachers. I have never had my heart ache so much for my son and felt so bad sitting there listening to all of this. My son is not a strong student and really has problems in reading and writing which affects everything else and he is at the age where he is self conscious of it. He has Ds and Fs in all core classes and it is all because he keeps failing all of his tests and quizzes. He works his butt of getting homework done is turned in and has all As on that stuff but fails every test. I tried to explain to teachers (for the third time this year) that he might not understand the questions and to please check in with him and look at what he is doing to make sure he understand the question. The social studies teacher looked as if she had no clue he didn't understand, the math teacher said pretty much if he needs that kind of help he needs to come in before or after school, his science teacher was the only one willing to help. Then we went to reading and met this teacher for the first time, last year we homeschooled, beginning of this year the school had him in a regular reading class and a reading tutor class, then at semester moved him to reading 180 class. When talking with this teacher she went over lexile scores and where that puts him grade wise. I told her that seems very low lexile for Jace and I thought he was at a higher level before. So she looks up his score in Aug and it was over 100 points higher than it was last week. To sum it all up I found out my ds is failing or almost failing all of his core classes and has lost 100 points in his reading level since starting school. Now I must make a choose to leave him in public school for the rest of the year or pull him now to go back to homeschooling knowing there is really only 3 months left.

Advertisement

missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: ds failing school what is the next turn?

I would have him tested by the school district for additional services and tutoring. He may need an IEP to help him in reading and writing. You can get those services whether or not he is home schooled or in public school. If it were me, I would pull him out and homeschool, it sounds as though he was doing much better at home.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The teacher may not be able to help in the middle of a room full of test takers without causing disruption.

I would ask for an iep or 504 meeting, ask for him to be assessed for a learning disability or dyslexia. Then they can make accommodations for him. It will help him least what accommodations he needs so he can self advocate to use similar services in college, etc.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

He has been tested twice for an iep and currently has a 504 but during the last meeting on it the teachers didn't think it was necessary for him to be on a 504 plan. I pushed for them to keep him on it but they will only put stuff into play for state testing not in classroom testing.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

If his scores are dropping I wonder if he's given up in school?

I love homeschooling so I say homeschool but would you plan to do it for longer than just the rest of the school year? I don't think there is a point to just pull him out for 3 months. If you plan on doing it next year then I think it's worth it.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Try re administering the exact tests at home to see if you can figure or what the problem is. Too quiet? Not enough time? Doesn't know the material? Is the test like the homework, format wise?
Obviously if he's failing, then he does need the accommodations from his 504 for his regular tests too. Does his plan say for all tests?
Can he spends time with the LD teacher to help him learn the skills he needs to take tests?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I was thinking of going back to hs next year because all of the kids are begging me to but I told them I wanted them to give ps a whole year before they truly decided what way to go. After all this I am not sure I should make him finish the year.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
Try re administering the exact tests at home to see if you can figure or what the problem is. Too quiet? Not enough time? Doesn't know the material? Is the test like the homework, format wise?
Obviously if he's failing, then he does need the accommodations from his 504 for his regular tests too. Does his plan say for all tests?
Can he spends time with the LD teacher to help him learn the skills he needs to take tests?
Tests stay at school but I will ask for copies of them and see, that is a good idea. As far as an LD teacher you must be on an IEP in order to see one, in this district at least they can not teach children who are not.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Middle School is a big time friend-wise. Has he made friends? Something else to consider before pulling
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

He has one good friend that lives around the block from us but doesn't have any classes with but the rest are just friends at school does that make sense?