View Poll Results: Which do you think is the best path?
Keep with public school 12 36.36%
Pull him and start home schooling 16 48.48%
other 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I too think he's given up on school and agree that middle school is a time of changes.

My mom is a middle school principal and the stories she tells is like my three year old does.

I would be blunt with him and tell him that he needs to finish out the year. If he improves his grades then you will do what he wants and hs next year. If not he'll stay in ps until his grades show improvement.

Advertisement

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ds failing school what is the next turn?

Pull him, there is no point to letting him continue to fail when the teachers are not doing anything for him and neither is their plan.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would pull him. If he's not succeeding and if he's not happy there, I see no good reason for him to stay. You wouldn't necessarily have to pull all the kids at this point - let the others finish the year and go back to schooling all of them in the fall, but he needs help now, not 7 months from now.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am leaning to pulling him but I know my judgement is clouded because I spent an hour with a 13 year old boy who was trying to hold back tears as teachers talked about his grades. They all said they love having him in class and he works hard and tries. I know it is the mom in me has well it swoop in a try to fix everything that is why I am asking for opinions.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
If it was a different school who had any interest in helping him I'd say keep him there for the year but it sounds like things are going south very quickly and it won't get better in this current situation. How did he get 7 month into a school year with him failing and dropping further behind without them bringing it up?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If they aren't following his 504 you need to bring it up to the district.

Sounds like he had test anxiety. I'd be helping him with ways to deal with it.

It's hard to see your child struggling in school. I am going through that with my son right now and being a teacher myself it makes it even harder to see the struggles. But we work with the issues and get him through it.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller

My Mood:
I am sure this will not be a popular opinion, but I am trying to figure out how he has made it to 6th grade with out being able to read well enough to take a test or quiz. I beginning reader with a disability sure I can understand but at 6th grade with out a major diagnosed learning disability at this point I would expect him to be able to read well enough to take a test or quiz.
Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn
He has been tested twice for an iep and currently has a 504 but during the last meeting on it the teachers didn't think it was necessary for him to be on a 504 plan. I pushed for them to keep him on it but they will only put stuff into play for state testing not in classroom testing.
who did you meet with? Teachers don't really get to decide that sort of thing. They can make suggestions, but they have to follow the 504 plan that is given to them.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Also, has he been evaluated for dyslexia/dysgraphia? It just seems there is a lot more going on here. He needs help whether that be more accommodations, more evaluations, tutoring, therapy, etc.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Here is a brief son schooling struggle

- he is adhd started meds in Kinder
- started low reading group in kinder
- 1st grade still in low reading group but only a half of year behind according to state tests so teacher say he will catch up
- 3rd grade gap has only gotten bigger, started tutoring and testing for sped using the RTI model. After many meetings he is not far enough behind or struggling enough for him to recieve services but put on a 504 plan.
- moved to a different state decided to re do 3rd grade in hopes that would make the difference and be more on his level.
- 3rd grade again still behind put into tutoring which made him miss recess in the mornings and stay after school until 4:30 everyday for extra tutoring
- 4th grade re tested in the RTI model again still not below benchmark enough to receive sped
- 5th grade dropped from tutoring even though he was still below benchmark but because he was always below benchmark mark by 10 pts for three years they decided there was not anymore they could do for him.
- Pulled him to homeschool him in hope that one on one will help him.
- 6th grade dh insists that he needs ps and with a new baby I caved and signed him up. They put him back into tutoring and redo 504 plan for the middle school year. At semester they call and say tutoring is not what he needed now they are placing him in reading 180 and that is where we are now.

This is a classic case of a child falling through the cracks of the system, he is not failing enough to need services but is not high enough to make it. Plus he is now at that age where he know he doesn't get it but is no scared to look stupid and ask for help. I have talked to teachers and told them that he feels this way so they know. I have kept telling myself this next thing will work for him and help but I am now getting worried if he can't make it now will he graduate?
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote