Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you had a LO with reflux

Did your doctor make them do a milk scan to confirm the baby had reflux before prescribing medication?

I need to know if I'm being unreasonable here. Ds1 had terrible silent reflux and our pedi made us do the milk scan (which was also terrible, btw) before she would give medication. The test was positive, we got medication, whatever.

Now I suspect ds2 has reflux as well, though it doesn't seem as severe. I figured we have a history here now and the pedi has known my family a lot longer at this point, just give me the damn medication. But no, she's insisting we put ds2 through the test as well and I just refuse to do all that nonsense again.

I remember when I was going through this with ds1, none of the other parents even knew there was a test for reflux - their pedi just gave the rx and if it fixed the symptoms: tada, must have been reflux. I know that's not smart medicine but UGH.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you had a LO with reflux

what makes you suspect malachy has reflux?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our pedi started him on a mild reflux med first (Zantac). Her theory was that if it helps, he probably has reflux. She felt is was less complicated and intrusive than testing. He went on it at 10 weeks. At six months, we did a trial without it. He was off about a month and a half before symptoms came back, but he also gained almost no weight during that time. It dropped him below the 3rd percentile. That's how we knew something was really wrong and started looking into stronger meds. Eventually, we settled on a custom compounded dose of Prilosec.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our pediatrician just prescribed Zantac after a couple visits of me mentioning excessive spitting up, and what seemed to be DS in discomfort. It helped after a couple weeks. I had no idea there was a test. That was five years ago.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
what makes you suspect malachy has reflux?
He spits up a lot, very agitated immediately after nursing, extremely uncomfortable laying on his back, a bit of back arching right after nursing and when he's laid on his back.

Eta: I think the pedi may also be reluctant because he gained really well in his first week.

Last edited by EmmaGM; 02-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No she did not however he wound up with a full battery of testing because the medication did not work. Kearnan had high volume reflux, like vomiting, screaming and refusing to nurse. Nothing could soothe him, he was only comfortable in his cradle swing and only for short periods of time. Most of his first 6 months are a hazy memory of screaming and doctors appts. So while his pedi (not the pedi we see now, I am so happy to have this insurance and my present pedi) did prescribe meds right away it did nothing for him. He went through a couple of meds and testing before we found something that helped. Ultimately he just outgrew the worst of it but even now he has some reflux at 12years old.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
-liv-
Registered Users

T was gaining at a decent rate and nursing well, but the milder symptoms that had been there started getting worse quickly at 4 months and feeding tanked in a couple of days, so the Dr put us on Zantac right away. He was eating again with no screaming after 24 hours so the Dr was confident that was it. Any attempts to reduce his dose have ended with us sleeping in the recliner for a couple of nights, so he keeps prescribing it. I was glad the Dr didn't wait until his weight was affected, since he was in the 4th percentile at the time. Within a few months he was up to the 8th percentile, so it looks like it was affecting his weight gain, even though he was following the curve. Hope thy figure it out soon - it's so hard to watch!
-liv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did not have to prove anything.

But -- he projectile vomited on the pediatrician and smelled like sour milk for two visits so when I said I wanted Prevacid they agreed immediately.

Did you try to nurse in the office in front of the pediatrician and then they can see what he does after if you lay him down? The they can witness the head bobbing, arching, sour smell afterwards, and discomfort. My sister had to to this, she did her appt, told them she was going to nurse and would return in 20 mins and to please look at the baby afterwards and they agreed and could see what she was saying.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, no test. But after my experience with DD2, I believe 100% that baby reflux is due to food sensitivities. I would encourage you to at the very least eliminate dairy from your diet before doing meds. He's BF, right?
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
These are the answers I expected but y'all aren't making me any less angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
No, no test. But after my experience with DD2, I believe 100% that baby reflux is due to food sensitivities. I would encourage you to at the very least eliminate dairy from your diet before doing meds. He's BF, right?
I have limited dairy from birth because ds1 had dairy sensitivity in addition to silent reflux. It took axid and nutramigen to end the 6 months of constant screaming. I tried to wean him from the axid after we switched to formula but he went straight back to screaming.