Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Allergies or gerd? Breastfeeding diet...

I am ebfi-ng my 2 month old (ftm) and I have in the last two days noticed a change in her poo. It is still the same mustard-y color it has always been, and still wet and loose but not seedy anymore. Now it has what looks like clumps of cheese curds, like cottage cheese. The "curds" look very similar to what she spits up. So is her stomach not processing the milk correctly? She is gassy all the time too, sometimes it makes her a grump, but with one dose of gas drops a day she stays pretty calm. She does spit up pretty often too, not huge amounts but will soak a few flats in a day. She also tends to be really fussy when it is time to lay down for the night. My H's family has history of severe milk allergies, and I am allergic to soy, but we do still use some dairy products. BIL has an extensive list of allergies that even includes rice. BILs allergies are actually the reason I wanted to bf.

I am considering changing my diet to be just rice, proteins, oatmeal or grits, fruits, and vegetables but the earliest I could do that is Sunday.

I am just not sure if this is a sign if her stomach is making too much acid causing it to be curdy or if she has an allergy and her stomach is now refusing to process it so as not to cause pain. TIA.

Advertisement

Powcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: Allergies or gerd? Breastfeeding diet...

How fussy is she? It's normal for babies to get cranky in the evening. It's also normal for them to have milk curdy poop. Unless her poop is bright green and mucousy and she's inconsolable, I wouldn't worry about it.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not OP but basically best friend like older sister. BM is a dark mustard color. Her DD does have boughts of inconsolable. Last night was two distinct ones each lasting well over half hour. One over an hour I am pretty sure. She is like that most nights. She stopped because she wore herself out. Plus OP tried Tylenol as teething might be a factor to recent stuff, it seemed to help. Her DD has always had times of it though. I am usually on the phone when it is going on.
She was a happy baby until the first major screaming started for the most part. That is what I find kind of odd.
Day time happy baby, night time and inconsolable baby shows up.
My DD never did it except when on Enfamil lipil. Breastmilk and Good start she never did it.
I feel bad that I have no ideas really. Just guessing along.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 03-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Is it just the witching hour? DS was a chill baby but he and I suffered through the witching hour (usually 6-8pm)every night from 2 months to 4 months. I think if the spitting really bothers the baby and/or there is blood in the stool then you should discuss with a pediatrician and try an elimination diet. Some babies are spitters but nothing is wrong.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222
Is it just the witching hour? DS was a chill baby but he and I suffered through the witching hour (usually 6-8pm)every night from 2 months to 4 months. I think if the spitting really bothers the baby and/or there is blood in the stool then you should discuss with a pediatrician and try an elimination diet. Some babies are spitters but nothing is wrong.
This is what I thought too. My babies went through a stage like this with the "witching hour" where they were very very fussy... It certainly may not be that simple for your dd though. My son was also a crazy spitter upper but it didn't seem painful/bothersome so we never treated it. It couldn't hurt to eliminate milk and see if it helps, right? Once your baby does settle and get to sleep ... does she continue to wake or stay asleep? Also do you have a baby carrier? My daughters only comfort was for me to wear her in a snugly stretchy wrap (we had a moby) and I would walk and sway really briskly... All babies are different, just trying to throw out some ideas it's so hard!!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
It is anywhere from 11pm til 3 am. I think she decided to try an elimination diet of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post

This is what I thought too. My babies went through a stage like this with the "witching hour" where they were very very fussy... It certainly may not be that simple for your dd though. My son was also a crazy spitter upper but it didn't seem painful/bothersome so we never treated it. It couldn't hurt to eliminate milk and see if it helps, right? Once your baby does settle and get to sleep ... does she continue to wake or stay asleep? Also do you have a baby carrier? My daughters only comfort was for me to wear her in a snugly stretchy wrap (we had a moby) and I would walk and sway really briskly... All babies are different, just trying to throw out some ideas it's so hard!!
She has a katan..sp? Her DD loves being swaddled and she has those blankets.
After 3 am ish wipe out from screaming she stays down. Night before last was weird as she was down by 1:30 am. We stayed on the phone just seeing if she would wake like usual.
Don't get me wrong I miss when my friend and I don't chat, when her Dh is home. I just know the stress of not knowing how to help your baby and I only dealt with it a week total at this level. OP is a trooper!

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 03-01-2014 at 03:48 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn
It is anywhere from 11pm til 3 am. I think she decided to try an elimination diet of sorts. She has a katan..sp? Her DD loves being swaddled and she has those blankets. After 3 am ish wipe out from screaming she stays down. Night before last was weird as she was down by 1:30 am. We stayed on the phone just seeing if she would wake like usual. Don't get me wrong I miss when my friend and I don't chat, when her Dh is home. I just know the stress of not knowing how to help your baby and I only dealt with it a week total at this level. OP is a trooper!
Yikes that sounds like a lot more than a witching hour... Aw I'm sorry. You are such a sweet friend to stay up chatting with her I hope the elimination diet helps! It really is so miserable when you feel so helpless to comfort your baby.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post

Yikes that sounds like a lot more than a witching hour... Aw I'm sorry. You are such a sweet friend to stay up chatting with her I hope the elimination diet helps! It really is so miserable when you feel so helpless to comfort your baby.
Like I mentioned before she is like a little sister to me. Plus it is what friends are for.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Allergies or gerd? Breastfeeding diet...

Once she does settle she sleeps a good few hours, but yea it can take some time to get there. I have cried a time or two trying to get her calmed down. If she isn't wrapped into a double swaddle she just screams worse one night I had them in the dryer and it was getting near bedtime and wow it was horrible. Last night I tried letting her chew on one of the frozen gel rings and that helped for a little while but it didn't stay cold enough long, and being that she is so small she couldn't get it into her mouth enough for it to truly help. I did have DH pick up some hylands teething gel. Hoping it helps.
The thing about the allergies that run in Dhs family is that it isn't a standard allergy so I don't think it will result in blood in her stool. He and his brother both have Eosinophilic esophagitis his brother with a more limiting form.

The night before last I did try starting our bedtime routine before she got cranky and it worked some. She did still get really cranky but went down sooner. But with how repetitive the crankiness is I am thinking there is something more to it.

As far as her stool I know it is supposed to be seedy but full out curds? I don't know this is my first child and I haven't been around other kids that were bf to know what is normal.
Powcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

That sounds like colic. Usually a colicky baby is ok in the mornings and the later in the day, the worse they get. My dd #6 had major colic. Come 3pm she would start screaming and scream until 11-12am. EVERY DAY LIKE CLOCKWORK! She cried, I cried, the cycle continued until she was about 5 months old. (It stated at about 3-4 weeks old.)

ETA: BF bm has such a wide range of normal. Mine only had seedy type bms for about 3 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it changing too much as long as its not green and/or mucousy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by 7 for now; 03-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote