Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
Corgi
Registered Users

Re: Anyone else battling Call of Duty?

I have no problem with guns, whatsoever. Huge advocate for responsible gun ownership here, DH and I both have concealed weapons permits. I don't like games that make guns a toy, and shooting people for fun. Just not cool in my book.

Advertisement

someone new Nov 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No "M" rated games allowed in our house. Yes, I am that mom who "just doesn't want (him) to grow up, who wants to keep (him) a baby." (Thank you SOOOOO much, stepmom, for planting that refrain in his head a few years ago . . . .)
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are :those" parents.

We just don't like video games in general. It is difficult when they spend time with boys that are currently obsessed with game x,y, and z and don't want to talk about anything else.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
We are :those" parents.

We just don't like video games in general. It is difficult when they spend time with boys that are currently obsessed with game x,y, and z and don't want to talk about anything else.
Us too , video games are not something we play but they are allowed to go on Lego .com and something like webkinz but even then it is only once a week. Especially with so many kids they all want to play at once and it causes so many fights and issues, there are so many other things they can do that include everyone.

Last edited by booty hunter; 02-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
We are a video gaming family (DH more so than me) and there is no way I'd let my 11 year old play that game. I'm not really into censoring things, but I do agree that it's not appropriate for someone so young to have a first person shooter game as entertainment. I might reevaluate for a 16 year old, but I doubt any sooner than that.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Playstation came out when I was a kid. My dad played Tomb Raider and all kinds of games with me. DH and I game and I play COD daily. Not a big deal in this house. The kids can play it when they are old enough to understand the buttons on the controller.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

No game consoles here. Nothing but a mind numbing time waster, IMO. My kids prefer to play outside or games inside.

I am dating myself here but dh used to have an original Nintendo in high school and he said he spent too many hours playing baseball. So, he is in full agreement about no gaming systems. I remember getting an Atari in elementary school and playing too much PAC-Man. My dad is a gadget person so had to get one when they first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
mekat
Registered Users

There are a lot of main stream games he could play that don't involve so much violence. I agree 11 is very young and I would wait until a bit more maturity has set in. My other thought is does anyone really like COD Ghosts? I looked at it because it was on sale and the ratings were horrible, they were in the 60s if I remember correctly and this is based on a 100 point scale. I won't bother wasting money on anything that scores less then an 85. We don't own consoles either. I prefer a computer with a good power supply and graphics card, more flexible gaming wise and bonus points because a powerful computer is a good productivity tool as well.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, our nephew has done multiple tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. Several years ago, the military released to the family a video of a mission he was commanding, and we got to see it. THey were securing an enemy weapon stash. He had to make a decision whether or not to shoot someone, and held off as long as he could, until the guy was directly threatening someone, and one of his men fired. Then you could hear his somewhat frantic calls over the radio as they tried (unsuccessfully) to save the guy.

I think of this when I see these games. My nephew was only like 26 at the time.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kids are very young still and will not be allowed to play games like that. There are lots of other games that are more suitable for kids. There is a reason games have ratings!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote