Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else battling Call of Duty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
No game consoles here. Nothing but a mind numbing time waster, IMO. My kids prefer to play outside or games inside.

I am dating myself here but dh used to have an original Nintendo in high school and he said he spent too many hours playing baseball. So, he is in full agreement about no gaming systems. I remember getting an Atari in elementary school and playing too much PAC-Man. My dad is a gadget person so had to get one when they first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yes, our "numbing time waster" is Minecraft. He would play it forever if we let him. But it doesn't take much to make him shut if off. Yesterday, he was outside with one of his little mates making a movie with an old video camera. Day before that we had lugged home an old organ from the Goodwill, and he spent the afternoon trying out different instruments with his piano music. Then he went to football camp. Before that it was a chemistry set with a microscope he found at the goodwill. Tomorrow he is getting ready for a chess tournament. There is so much more in his life than video games, but it takes huge effort to convince his friends to turn it off and come along sometimes. Also doesn't have his own cell phone yet (probably in a year or two, now he can bother the family one if he needs to) and I am "uncool" over that as well.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi View Post
I have no problem with guns, whatsoever. Huge advocate for responsible gun ownership here, DH and I both have concealed weapons permits. I don't like games that make guns a toy, and shooting people for fun. Just not cool in my book.
I agree, but I also dont view shooting people in COD as "just for fun." The game is for fun, the so called mission isnt. I view that as more GTA or the like.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #23
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Playstation came out when I was a kid. My dad played Tomb Raider and all kinds of games with me. DH and I game and I play COD daily. Not a big deal in this house. The kids can play it when they are old enough to understand the buttons on the controller.
Us, too. Idk...
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post
My kids are very young still and will not be allowed to play games like that. There are lots of other games that are more suitable for kids. There is a reason games have ratings!
Reapectfully, so do movies..and moms rate them. Most movies disgust me more than COD. JMHO
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsNBuckles

I agree, but I also dont view shooting people in COD as "just for fun." The game is for fun, the so called mission isnt. I view that as more GTA or the like.
Can you expand on this? The game is for fun but parts within the game, the missions, are not for fun? What are they for? In a training exercise you don't shoot people. There is a huge difference between a duck hunting or skeet shooting game and a game where you shoot people.

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #26
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post

Can you expand on this? The game is for fun but parts within the game, the missions, are not for fun? What are they for? In a training exercise you don't shoot people. There is a huge difference between a duck hunting or skeet shooting game and a game where you shoot people.

I actually get your point entirely. We do a lot of hunts, afterall. Expanding on a different perspective, my kids are exposed to tactical training and simulations with both laser screen "bad guys" and live "pop-up" bad guys. My 9 year old trains sim pop ups regularly. Its no different for us, I suppose. We teach gun safety so much, the blood and effects really arent bad for them, they know its the norm. My 4 year olds start training while shooting at human shaped targets. We've shot "jelly" targets with multi-caliber pistols and rifles, which generally show impact, recoil of target and general simulation blood spray. They're also very exposed to military and police tactics...

ETA: Never alone. I have a gun safe bigger than me. My kids wont even point a toy gun at a human. They know guns are meant for killing.

Last edited by BootsNBuckles; 02-23-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #27
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsNBuckles View Post
My 4 year olds start training while shooting at human shaped targets. We've shot "jelly" targets with multi-caliber pistols and rifles, which generally show impact, recoil of target and general simulation blood spray. They're also very exposed to military and police tactics...
Really? Why are you kids exposed to military tactics?
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 AM   #28
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsNBuckles

I actually get your point entirely. We do a lot of hunts, afterall. Expanding on a different perspective, my kids are exposed to tactical training and simulations with both laser screen "bad guys" and live "pop-up" bad guys. My 9 year old trains sim pop ups regularly. Its no different for us, I suppose. We teach gun safety so much, the blood and effects really arent bad for them, they know its the norm. My 4 year olds start training while shooting at human shaped targets. We've shot "jelly" targets with multi-caliber pistols and rifles, which generally show impact, recoil of target and general simulation blood spray. They're also very exposed to military and police tactics...

ETA: Never alone. I have a gun safe bigger than me. My kids wont even point a toy gun at a human. They know guns are meant for killing.
Gun safety is a totally different ball game. I'd certainly hope you are teaching it.

As for general simulation blood spray being "the norm" for a four year old, I'm flummoxed by that TBH. I do not believe that a four year olds brain is sufficiently mature enough to not see this as completely desensitizing death, especially human death, and even reading this has made me fundamentally uncomfortable. Why would any four year old need to start shooting practice at a human target?

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 AM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsNBuckles View Post
They're also very exposed to military and police tactics...
Fascinating. Why is this?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #30
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Us too , video games are not something we play but they are allowed to go on Lego .com and something like webkinz but even then it is only once a week. Especially with so many kids they all want to play at once and it causes so many fights and issues, there are so many other things they can do that include everyone.
This was actually a motivator in our video game limiting decision. I didn't want to to deal with the constant negotiation about whose turn, how long, the constant arguing, he distracted me, he got me killed, he got in front of me etc.

Can you tell I played games often with my brother as a kid?

I did get a Wii last year so that we could do some of the movement games during the winter. Its collecting dust. They just aren't in the habit of playing so they forget its there.

My youngest three love Lego.com and they like some of the apps on the Kindle. But even with that I have had to negotiate so they don't pester me about it. I finally figured out that if they want some app time I should demand they take their nap or tidy up all their toys. The toy are has been so clean lately.

I'm guessing pp has kids that do competitive shooting. Not all competitions are at stationary bullseye targets thus the need for training.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote