Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #21
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As far as I know Wal-Mart doesn't sell Chia seed. I usually order ours on eBay along with the rest of my stuff

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
As far as I know Wal-Mart doesn't sell Chia seed. I usually order ours on eBay along with the rest of my stuff
Yeah I had to skip the chia seeds today. Never even thought of ordering online. Are they cheaper online. I called my mom and she said Walgreens sells them for like $30??
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
gghmommy
Registered Users

Re: Must haves for smoothies

just curious, for those who use chia seeds, do you soak them in your liquid before blending or are they pulverized and no longer gritty? also, anyone have super recipes with greens and a regular (low end) blender? I mean, if anyone wants to donate a vitamix or blendtec, I'd be a willing recipient!
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
aravae
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghmommy View Post
just curious, for those who use chia seeds, do you soak them in your liquid before blending or are they pulverized and no longer gritty? also, anyone have super recipes with greens and a regular (low end) blender? I mean, if anyone wants to donate a vitamix or blendtec, I'd be a willing recipient!
I put the chia in after I have blended it. I just stir it in with a spoon, and let it sit for a minute.

I mix a handful of greens in with some frozen fruit and yogurt and juice. That works fine in my cheaper blender. I've not found a totally/mostly green smoothie recipe I like.
aravae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravae View Post
I put the chia in after I have blended it. I just stir it in with a spoon, and let it sit for a minute.

I mix a handful of greens in with some frozen fruit and yogurt and juice. That works fine in my cheaper blender. I've not found a totally/mostly green smoothie recipe I like.
I use a ninja (mine cost like $40) and make a chocolate smoothie that is largely greens (with a banana and 4 frozen strawberries). I've had no problem with it. I don't use chia in my smoothies though. Sometimes I use ground flax. Chia is just too expensive for me to use in smoothies.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #26
cutestbabyboy
Registered Users
seller

So many options with smoothies! Chia seeds are an excellent super food, as is spiruleena (sorry, probably spelled that wrong!) I'm trying to think of other additions not mentioned here... bee pollen is an amazing super food, most natural foods stores carry it in granules. If you're really into being healthy, replace cocoa for raw organic cacao powder, it's what chocolate is before it's processed and sweetened. It's extremely high in iron. Mixed with raw coconut oil, coconut milk, frozen bananas, vanilla, a dash of sea salt and stevia or maple syrup, you can make a super delish milk shake type smoothie.

You can hide lots of greens in a smoothie with frozen bananas and strawberries and not even know they are there.

If you use protein powders, be careful as their ingredients are usually not as healthy as they'd like you to believe. Never use one with soy. If you're not familiar with the problems with soy, take a look at the Weston A. Price Foundation, or just google "why soy isn't a health food." You can get some decent ones from Azure Standard, whey powder makes a yummy and creamy smoothie, adding protein without the yucky chalky taste.
cutestbabyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutestbabyboy
So many options with smoothies! Chia seeds are an excellent super food, as is spiruleena (sorry, probably spelled that wrong!) I'm trying to think of other additions not mentioned here... bee pollen is an amazing super food, most natural foods stores carry it in granules. If you're really into being healthy, replace cocoa for raw organic cacao powder, it's what chocolate is before it's processed and sweetened. It's extremely high in iron. Mixed with raw coconut oil, coconut milk, frozen bananas, vanilla, a dash of sea salt and stevia or maple syrup, you can make a super delish milk shake type smoothie.

You can hide lots of greens in a smoothie with frozen bananas and strawberries and not even know they are there.

If you use protein powders, be careful as their ingredients are usually not as healthy as they'd like you to believe. Never use one with soy. If you're not familiar with the problems with soy, take a look at the Weston A. Price Foundation, or just google "why soy isn't a health food." You can get some decent ones from Azure Standard, whey powder makes a yummy and creamy smoothie, adding protein without the yucky chalky taste.
This is exactly why I am having a tough time with smoothie recipes! So many list protein powder which I'm wanting to avoid.
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofhearts View Post
This is exactly why I am having a tough time with smoothie recipes! So many list protein powder which I'm wanting to avoid.
I use raw hemp protein. I'm not anti-soy but prefer not to over consume and I like tofu.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #29
cutestbabyboy
Registered Users
seller

You can still have a really healthy smoothie without protein powder, just leave it out! If you use milk (raw organic being the best, but at least make sure it's organic and not homogenized,) or even better, Kefir as the liquid which will add protein without processed powders. There's a really good e book called High Protein Without the Powder, here's the link... http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/0...ebook-is-here/ It gives lots of recipes for smoothies without protein powder.
cutestbabyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My kids and my daycare kids adore fro*en strawberries and fro*en mango with milk and a few scoops of yogurt.