Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Proper selling etiquette?!

I have been selling on here for a while and recently I decided to stop waiting on people. If I'm selling something I want it sold fast, I usually will have at a minimum, 5 pms about a certain listing of mine within 24 hours of posting it. While I do move along in responding to my pms in line, the first person who is actively responding to my pms, asks for my paypal and actually pays gets first dibs. Is that wrong?! I've been burned soooooo many times and I'm just done with it, I realize not everyone is rude and will ask for an invoice and then never pay but it happens all the time to me. If I only have one mama I'm dealing with and then 24hrs later another pm rolls in I do check with the original one to see if they are still interested before moving on. I had a lot of diapers listed on Friday and had a handful of pms about them, one mama in particular seemed most interested but had lots of questions about prices and then disappeared for the rest of the day. While I was talking to her more pms were rolling in about them and several mamas wanted the entire lot. The mama who didn't try to haggle my already super reasonable prices and wanted the entire lot I invoiced and she paid within seconds. Should I have waited to hear back from the ones who wanted one diaper but never committed? After almost 24hrs after her first pm the other mama who was one of the "first" got back to me and said she wanted 2, I felt bad but I told her I sold the entire lot and she seemed upset like I screwed her over. What am I supposed to do next time?

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Registered Users
seller

I get it. It frustrating when there is no response. Should you wait? Maybe, then again why didn't she ask for you to hold it for her.
IMO - you should put something in your post about moving on. Item is not sold / gone until payment is made. Until then you reserve the right to make a sale with the first person to pay.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Proper selling etiquette?!

I can understand why she is upset, but I can also understand why you would sell to the first person to pay your asking price. Especially if that person bought everything. Sometimes its hard (as we all know) to keep our attention on ds with kids, housework, errands, blah blah blah! When I really want something I try to pay attention to my phone alerts and respond immediately, but it isn't always easy. The should I wait/move on is a fine line to walk for sure. But in reality as long as you haven't taken payment from someone your not "screwing them over" by selling to someone else. It is just the nature of the b/s/t game.

ETA: I think its important to just communicate with each other. For example, if I know I'm coming in to a "high demand" time of day with my kids, I'll tell buyer/seller I'll get back to you after baby bedtime or during nap or whenever I know I'll be able to give it my attention again.

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!

Last edited by squirrelgirl; 02-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.
squirrelgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My POV is that if you want something you move on it. The only time I "wait" is if someone has requested my paypal address, which to me is an understanding that a purchase is in process. And even then I only wait the length of time I specified in my posting - usually an hour.

I think you should note in your listings that you don't hold items and that asking questions doesn't reserve an item.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote