Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baked oatmeal

Looking for some variation in breakfasts for me and my kids...I'm having a baby any day and I know oats are great for staying full and also for milk supply but I don't really like oatmeal cooked on the stove all that much...the texture is not my favorite. I have seen a lot of baked oatmeal recipes lately and am wondering what the texture difference is, or is it basically the same as mush from the stove? They appear more "cakey" and textured (which sound good) in pictures but I don't want to waste ingredients for something mushy and blah.. Anyone try baked oatmeal before and care to describe it?

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Baked oatmeal

I LOVE baked oatmeal! Its texture is completely different than regular oatmeal, and my favorite part is that it keeps/reheats well!

Here are two recipes that I've made several times. This one I just recently found. It's nice because it's made in muffin cups. The only thing I'd add about this recipe is that it makes way more than the recipe says it does! I cut the recipe in half and get 16 muffin cups worth. http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/...etic-friendly/

This one is a blueberry baked oatmeal, made in an 8x8 dish. I've made this a lot and love it! My mom has made it too, and she found that it freezes and reheats well. http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot....d-oatmeal.html

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I LOVE baked oatmeal! Its texture is completely different than regular oatmeal, and my favorite part is that it keeps/reheats well!

Here are two recipes that I've made several times. This one I just recently found. It's nice because it's made in muffin cups. The only thing I'd add about this recipe is that it makes way more than the recipe says it does! I cut the recipe in half and get 16 muffin cups worth. http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/

This one is a blueberry baked oatmeal, made in an 8x8 dish. I've made this a lot and love it! My mom has made it too, and she found that it freezes and reheats well. http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/09/blueberry-baked-oatmeal.html
Thank you!!! So what is the texture like?
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceworks
Thank you!!! So what is the texture like?
Disgusting IMO.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heavenlyhomemaker has some great oat recipes. I can't stand cooked cereal but I like some of her stuff.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Try using a blender to grind the oatmeal into flour before cooking it. I HATE oatmeal in its original form, but I like it ground. Sub it that way for baked oatmeal and you might trick yourself into liking it.

Here's my recipe for Oatmeal Apple Crisp; it's more of a dessert.

3 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix apples, cinnamon and sugar. Pour in greased 8x8 pan.

1 cup quick oats, ground in blender
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter

Mix in food processor until crumbly. Pour evenly over apples.

1 1/4 cups water

Pour evenly over crisp. (Yes, you need that much water; the oatmeal absorbs a lot of liquid)

3/4 tsp cinnamon sprinkled over top

Bake 45 min in 400* oven.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages

Last edited by Southernbelle; 02-25-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Forgot ingredient
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

It's sort of more muffin like than oatmeal like. Drier (in a good way) and not slimy. I have some leftover baked oatmeal cups, I'll try to take a close up picture of it the morning.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know if it helps the same way or not, but I make homemade granola out of old fashioned oats. I don't mind oatmeal, but I don't make it often. Granola, however, I'll happily eat daily. Its super easy to make. I can post my recipe if you're interested. I make up a big batch that usually lasts me 1-2 weeks (depending on how much the kids eat). I store it in big containers I got from the dollar store.

Last edited by Mama*Kim; 02-26-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
I don't know if it helps the same way or not, but I make homemade granola out of old fashioned oats. I don't mind oatmeal, but I don't make it often. Granola, however, I'll happily eat daily. Its super easy to make. I can post my recipe if you're interested. I make up a big batch that usually lasts me 1-2 weeks (depending on how much the kids eat). I store it in big containers I got from the dollar store.
I'd love a good granola recipe! Problem with granola is how much I can eat of ... It's kind of like candy
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The downfall to my recipe is that I mostly just toss stuff in, but here's a rough idea of how I make it.

Preheat oven to 275. Line two sheet pans with parchment (or grease them).

In a huge bowl, combine 1-2 cups chopped nuts with 6-8 cups old fashioned oats. For sweeter, crunchier granola, use the lesser amount of oats. Set bowl aside.

Either in the microwave or on the stove, heat together .5 cup water, 1.5 cups brown sugar and .25 cup butter. Heat until bubbly and sugar is melted. Carefully add 1tbsp vanilla (it will bubble up a bit when you do this) (almond extract is another good choice), a dash of salt, and spices (if desired, like cinnamon or nutmeg).

Combine the syrup mixture with the oats. Mix well. Spread onto sheet pans. Bake 45-60 minutes, rotating pans and stirring every 15 minutes. I generally do 45 minutes if I'm doing 6 cups oats and 60 minutes for 8 cups oats. The granola won't feel crunchy until it cools, so don't look for that for an indicator.

As soon as the granola comes out of the oven, toss it with 2 cups dried fruit. We love dried cranberries, but raisins, dates, dried apples, etc all work great too. Tossing it while it's still warm breaks up some of the big chunks and keeps it from sticking to the pan. Once it cools completely, transfer to air right containers.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote